This Puff Pastry Chocolate Croissant is so quick and easy to make, thanks to ready to use Puff Pastry I don’t have to allocate 3 days just to make a homemade croissant.
If you love Chocolate Croissant like I do, and you are contemplating to make it from home, this recipe is for you. It’s quick, simple, easy and ready in 40 minutes, less than 1 hour for a homemade croissant is truly amazing. If you think 40 minutes is still a long time, wait until you hear about how long it takes to make a traditions croissant at home.
Few years ago, I made my own Chocolate Croissant from scratch. It took me 3 days! You might think that’s ridiculous, and I would totally agree 100%. It is always easy to buy ready to eat dessert at cafe and some people asked me why I go through the hassle of making it from scratch. Simple, I love baking and it was never a work for me to do, it is my passion and doing it makes me happy. It gives me a sense of accomplishment, it gives me joy sharing my baking with my friends. But you know, they say there is always an exception to the rule, and I think I found mine in making homemade Croissant, the real Croissant from scratch (no cheating by using puff pastry, guilty!). Well, anyway to cut the story short, I made it and oh boy it was crazy lot of work. It was more of a challenge for me that’s why I decided to make it. It took a lot of patience and practice to be able to get the flaky fluffy layers of dough. The process required a lot of resting period and chilling overnight that’s I why it took 3 days and I am not exaggerating, watch the video in YouTube to confirm what I’m saying. However fulfilling it was, I cannot bring myself to do it again. Just the thought of doing the long process made me run away from a different direction. But then who knows maybe one day I’ll be able to convince myself to do it again. But for now, I’ll stick to this easy homemade chocolate croissant. It may not be 100% comparable to store-bought or from scratch version but this works for now.
What Makes This So Easy?
Puff Pastry, yes that’s the secret. Or maybe not because a lot of people also know this. You can use Homemade Puff Pastry or store-bought. My homemade puff pastry recipe is the easy version, it’s doable in 30 minutes or even less. You can make it ahead of time and keep refrigerated until ready to use. This recipe uses only 2 ingredients, puff pastry and chocolate spread. I used my new found Lindt spread dark and milk chocolate. You can also use Nutella, I guess that’s the more easier one to find. You can even leave it plain without filling, the classic butter croissant.
What Type of Puff Pasty to Buy
There’s no shame in using a readily available puff pastry, you got to do what you got to do, so go grab them. There are 2 types that I normally saw in the grocery here in Canada.
- There’s one that are cut into 2 thick square. This type of puff pastry will require you to roll and flatten it into about 1/8 inch thickness. It’s not difficult to do that, but that still adds time when you are in a hurry. Also, you have to target of at least having an even surface. I box contains 2 cut puff pastry.
- Then there’s my favorite type, the flat puff.They normally comes in 2 pieces per box, and all you have to do is thaw it a little bit in the fridge , unroll and cut them to size and shape you like. The thickness is even, so it’s you are assured that they will bake at the same time. The little time you save will make a huge difference when your tight on schedule. That will give you some time to clean up and relax before the party starts.
So those are you’re 2 options, if you are not considering on making your own puff pastry. You can choose which one is available in your grocery. But definitely go for the 2nd one if they have it.
- 1 Pre-Rolled Puff Pastry Sheet (Store-bought or Homemade Puff Pastry)
- 1/2 cup Nutella or Any Chocolate Spread
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Prepare the Puff Pastry: If coming from freezer, thaw the Puff Pastry dough in the refrigerator at least few hours before using it. You can leave it overnight in the refrigerator until ready to use. Do force to un-roll frozen Puff Pastry as it will break and tear.
- Divide and Fill: Unwrap and un-roll 1 package of puff pastry dough. Divide the dough into 4 triangles and spread chocolate on top. Roll starting from the wide base until it reach the end. Slightly curl toward the center (like a crab).
- If you are making your own puff pastry, roll the puff pastry to 1/4-inch thick and 10 x 10-inch size, up to maximum 12 x 12.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown and flaky. Remove immediately from the baking sheet and transfer in serving tray. Sprinkle top with icing sugar (optional)
- Use a baking sheet with high rim to avoid the butter from dripping when you take it out from the oven. Puff pastry are high in butter and when baked, the butter melts and can create a bit of a puddle of melted butter in the pan.
My Recipe Video Collection
- Small Batch Classic Eclair (Makes 6)
- [VIDEO] Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons
- [VIDEO] No Bake Pistachio Fruits and Nuts Chocolate Bar
- Pear & Almond Tart
- Classic French Toast, Breakfast Made Easy!
- Banana Oats Bar, Breakfast on the Go!
- Triple Dark Chocolate Chiffon Cake
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SweetNSpicyLiving on Social Media Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
Categories: Baking, Puff Pastry, Recipe
I adore chocolate and would love these!