Hearty Black Bean Chicken Tortilla Soup is so filling you can have this as meal on its own. This soup is flavorful and loaded with beans and chicken enough to keep you going until you have the time for a full course sit down meal. What’s more is that this is so easy to make on stove top or using slow cooker if you have one. It cooks in just few minutes so you can serve it sooner than later. It’s almost like a soup stew, filling and comforting in every spoonful. Let’s make this!
About This Recipe
- Ease in Making the Recipe: I consider this an easy recipe in terms of process and ingredients. This is such a quick soup to make and you can have it in 30 minutes or less. This is also a great recipe to use left over rotisserie chicken. You can make this on stove top or in slow cooker if you have one. It’s more like making a stew but faster. The chicken cooks fast even if you are using raw, but this recipe uses rotisserie chicken so it makes the process easier. The chicken is already cooked and seasoned for extra taste. The bulk of the process is sautéing the ingredients and simmering it. That’s just it.
- Ingredients: The ingredients are simple and easy to find. The list is long but a lot of these are seasonings and spices. I like using a lot of spices in most of my savory dishes, spices adds great flavor to the dish. The most that you probably need to buy is the black beans and chicken. I used canned blacked beans for quicker process, but you can also use dry beans and cook it. You can also use other type of beans m, mix beans or white beans should be ok. For the chicken, I used rotisserie chicken but you can also use fresh chicken. I think using rotisserie makes the process easier and it’s a great way to use leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Texture, Taste & Flavor: Very tasty and flavorful. Thanks to the seasoning and spices. It has a nice rich tomato taste which makes the chicken tasty as it absorbs the flavor. It has a wonderful texture from the chicken and beans. I love the slight kick of heat and the crispy corn tortilla chips on top taste so good I want more of it. Even if you are not making this soup, make that crispy corn tortilla chips for snacking and salad garnishing. If you want to have a cream based soup, add about 1/4 cup of heavy cream at the end of the cooking.
- Make-Ahead: Yes, this soup freeze well too. Make it a day or 3 days in advance and keep it refrigerated. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months. But since this is a small batch, it really doesn’t last that long for me and I never had leftover to freeze. I usually have this for the week. I like making small batch so that can make different soup every week and also get to enjoy other foods during the week and not only eat soup, that would be boring.
Ingredients for Black Beans & Chicken Soup
- Oil – any flavorless oil will work, I often use Olive or or Canola Oil
- Aromatics – just the basic fresh garlic and onion, always use fresh for for better flavor
- Chicken – I used rotisserie chicken, not only that it made the process faster but it also taste great because the chicken has already been cooked and seasoned. It’s also a great way to use leftover chicken or even Turkey
- Beans – I used canned black beans for a quicker process. You can also use dry beans and cook it until soft. You can also use other types of beans like white beans or mixed beans
- Tomato Sauce and Paste – I used both sauce and paste for a more stronger tomato flavor and to help thicken the sauce. Tomato paste really enhances the flavor and taste so don’t skip it.
- Broth – I used homemade chicken broth but vegetable broth will work too. When using store-bought broth, add the salt gradually so you can adjust it accordingly
- Cilantro – Cilantro adds freshness in this soup, I love cilantro and I add it wherever makes sense to add it. I love the smell and the taste.
- Seasoning and Spices – I used a blend of different peppers and dried herbs. This is flexible, you can use other spices that you like, rosemary, basil l, parsley etc. What I like about using Italian seasoning is that it is already a blend of different kind of herbs so it saves me the time of using different small amount of herbs.
- Tortilla Chips – Although optional, I highly recommend you try to make this. This homemade corn tortilla chips is amazing! I make this on its own even if I am not making this soup. They’re great for snacking and salad garnishing. If you can find corn tortilla, that is the best option. Although regular flour tortilla works, it doesn’t have the same texture and crunchiness as corn tortilla. Regular tortilla also tends to get hard. I used to make this chips using regales soft tortilla but as soon as I tried using corn tortilla, I never looked back. Corn tortilla is the way to go, definitely.
How to Make Black Beans & Chicken Soup
Always start by having all the ingredients that you need and do all the needed preparation like cutting/chopping. Once that’s done, let’s start!
You basically just need to saute the onion, garlic, seasoning and spices, tomato and beans. After that all the broth, any broth will work but I used chicken. Bring the pot to a 5 minutes simmer then add the shredded chicken and cilantro. At this stage if you want to add some greens like Kale this will be the time to do it. Simmer for another 5 minutes. You can also add spinach in place of kale but add it at the end of the cooking time. The remaining heat will cook the spinach.
Next let make some crispy tortilla sticks for garnishing. This is totally optionally but I like the crunch and texture that it adds. You can also use any ready to eat tortilla chips to serve this soup with. To make the tortilla strips, brush the tortilla with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut into strips then transfer in a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 350F. Let cool completely.
Make it Vegetarian
If you want to make this vegetarian m, simply remove the chicken in the recipe. You can add mushroom or seared tofu instead. If you want to make it vegan, use a vegan yogurt and cheese or just skip it all together.
- 1 tablespoon Flavorless Oil
- 1/4 cup Yellow Onion – minced
- 2 cloves Garlic – minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chile Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 cup diced canned Tomato
- 3 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1/2 cup canned Black Beans
- 2 cups Broth
- 150g shredded Chicken
- 1/4 cup Cilantro
- 3 Corn Tortilla
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil
- pinch Salt and Paprika
- 3 tablespoon plain Greek Yogurt
- Diced Canned Tomato – substitute with fresh ripe tomato
- Canned Black Beans – substitute with dry black beans. You will have to soak and cook the beans until soft
- Chicken – substitute with fresh chicken, turkey or beef. Make sure to cook the meat before using
- Corn Tortilla – substitute with flour tortilla. There will be a huge difference in texture. You can also use croutons
- Plain Greek Yogurt – substitute with sour cream
- Add oil in a heated pan. Add the onion and cook for few minutes before adding all the seasoning and dried herbs and slice. Sauté for about a minute then add garlic and cook for few minutes. Add diced tomato, tomato paste, black beans and broth. Simmer for 5 minutes then add the shredded chicken and cook for 5 more minutes. Turn off the heat and add the chopped Cilantro. Soup is ready!
- If using raw meat, saute the meat with the onion and cook until no longer raw.
- Make the Corn Tortilla Strips: Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Brush both sides of the corn tortilla with olive oil. Sprinkle some salt and paprika. Cut into strips or wedges. Arrange in a baking sheet and bake at 350F for 10 minutes.
- Serve: Divide the soup into 3 bowls. Add tablespoon of yogurt on top and some corn tortilla chips. Sprinkle with chopped fresh Cilantro. ENJOY!
Nutritional Information was calculated using Veryfitwell Recipe Calorie and Nutrition Calculator. For details about Nutritional Information in this website, please read the Disclaimer page.
My Latest Video
Click the item to get the full recipe
- Dinner Rolls For Two
- Tomato Basil Soup For Two
- Chicken Vermicelli Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Corn Soup For Two
- Cream of Asparagus Soup For Two
- Smooth and Creamy Leek Soup
- Beef and Barley Soup
- Lentil Soup
- Cauliflower Soup
- Prawn In Green Pea Soup
- Macaroni Meatballs Soup
- 25 Homemade Soup Recipes
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Leave a Reply