This Egg, Mushroom and Spinach Breakfast Burrito is one easy breakfast to make especially during busy weekdays when you think you do not have have to make and enjoy a sit down breakfast. Not only that it is very easy, it is very flexible too. You can different filling, you can even make it vegetarian, the choice is yours.
Since I make egg breakfast almost every week, I thought I’d share with you some of my easy breakfast idea. We can all use some easy recipe now and then, right? I’m calling this series Easy Egg-citing Recipes where I will share simple egg recipes that you can make in no time at all. This is the kind of recipe that I make during busy weekdays and even during the weekends. The main ingredients will be egg, plus more to make it filling and satisfying. This is the type of recipe that I guarantee you can make at home, no cooking skills needed. Just get cracking, and cook the egg!
Egg is probably one staple ingredient is use for breakfast, it is so versatile you can have it hard boiled, scrambled, over easy, fried, poach and baked. It is easy to prepare regardless of how you want it cool, plus it is affordable breakfast that most people love it, me included. So what’s in a egg? Let’s go check!
What’s In an Egg?
Yolk is the yellow portion of the egg and this is full of nutrients, vitamins and fats. Those who are watching their diet normally avoid the egg yolk because of the fat content. Then we have the White which is packed with protein and water, the healthy part of the egg. Have you noticed, there is a white strand floating somewhere in the mix? I thought before this is part of the egg white, but it seems this is actually part of what makes up the egg. This is called the chalazae. It anchors the yolk to the white and to the inside of the shell, keeping the yolk suspended.
How to Store Egg
- Always keep eggs in the carton. the carton protects the eggs and prevents them from absorbing strong odors and flavors of other foods in your fridge through the thousands of tiny pores in the egg shell. Secondly, the Best Before Date is always visible to you so you can guarantee freshness. Lastly, eggs should always be stored with the large end up, the same way they are packaged in the carton. This helps the yolk remain centered.
- Eggs should not be stored on the refrigerator door, but in the main body of the refrigerator to ensure that they keep a consistent and cool temperature.
- Leftover raw egg whites and yolks should be put in airtight containers and stored in the refrigerator immediately. To prevent yolks from drying out, cover them with a little cold water. Drain the water before using.
- When storing hard boiled eggs, you may notice a “gassy” odor in your refrigerator. The odor is caused by hydrogen sulphide, which forms when eggs are cooked. It’s harmless and usually dissipates in a few hours.
What are the Ingredients for Mushroom and Spinach Breakfast Burrito?
- Mushroom – I prefer using brown mushroom but white mushroom will work too. Fresh mushroom is always better
- Spinach – I use fresh Spinach I find that is less soggy than using frozen Spinach
- Onion – Any onion will work, but my personal preference is yellow onion
- Egg – I used 2 eggs to make the scrambled egg which is enough to fill 2 medium size tortilla
- Tortilla – You can use any kind of tortilla that you like. Plain, whole wheat or spinach tortilla will work just fine.
- Cheese – I used a combination of cheddar and mozzarella cheese. For best result, I would recommend use at least 1 melting cheese and then combine another type of cheese
- Oil – Any flavorless oil will work, this is just to saute the onion and mushroom, and a little bit more to grease the pan
- Butter – to cook the egg but this can be substituted with 1 teaspoon flavorless oil
- Sour Cream or Yogurt – I used this for both the egg and as a dressing, however you can use any of yur favorite dressing to make the burrito.
- Salt & Peppers – This is the minimum season and spices to enhance the taste of the dish
- Dried or Fresh Herbs – totally optional but if you have any, use it as it adds nice extra flavor. I used my favorite Italian Seasoning and Parsley. Fresh chives is a great option too.
How to Make Mushroom and Spinach Breakfast Burrito
There are 2 simple components of this breakfast burrito. The mushroom , spinach and egg. You can cook this in any order that you like. My personal preference is to cook the mushroom and spinach first, then the scrambled egg. Simply saute the mushroom and spinach then season to taste. You can also use other seasoning, I like adding peppers in most of my cooking because I like a little bit (or more) heat.
Next work on the scrambled egg, I used only 2 which I find a perfect portion to make 2 medium burrito. You can use oil in place of butter. You will notice that there is a yogurt added in the scrambled egg, this helps make a creamy scrambled egg but if you do not have one on hand, don’t worry about it. This taste good even without the addition of yogurt to scrambled egg.
Now that you have these two, you are ready to make the burrito. You can use any flavor of tortilla. I used 2 medium size but you can make 1 large one too. Spread yogurt on top of the tortilla, you can also use salad dressing, mayonnaise, hummus or tzatziki. Add the egg, spinach, cheese close to the top so you have space to roll the wrap. Add more seasoning and spices for extra flavor.
You can serve this as it is, but I like to have it slightly toasted so the cheese melts inside. Spray a pan with oil and lay the burrito. Cook both sides until brown, about 5 minutes each side on medium heat. Alternatively, you can also use panini press if you have one, or you can use a bread toaster.
Serve with dip of your choice, ENJOY!
It is Best to Use Soft Tortilla
Make sure the tortilla is soft and pliable. If you are using a tortilla that has been stored in the refrigerator soften the tortilla before using it. To do this, lay the tortilla on a plate, cover with damp towel and microwave for about 20 seconds. The tortilla should be soft and easy to fold without cracking.
- 2 cups Brown Mushroom – sliced
- 1 cup Spinach – chopped
- 1/4 cup Onion – chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Red Chile Flakes
- 1 tablespoon Butter or 1/2 tablespoon flavorless Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tablespoon Yogurt or Sour Cream (Divided: 1 tablespoon for the Egg and 1 tablespoon for the wrap)
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese (or mix or mozzarella nd cheddar)- grated
- 1/8 teaspoon Italian Seasoning (optional)
- Pinch of Paprika (optional)
- 1 teaspon Oil to grease the pan
- Cook the Mushroom and Spinach: Add the oil in a heated pan, followed by the onion. Saute until the onion is transluscent. Mix in sliced mushroom, salt, pepper and dried thyme. Cook for 15 minutes or until the juice from the mushroom has evaporated. Add red chile flakes (optional). Add fresh Spinach and continue cooking until the Spinach is wilted. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Beat the Eggs: In a bowl, beat the eggs then add salt, black pepper Italian seasoning and yogurt or sour cream
- On a heated pan, add the butter or oil and bring to low- medium heat. Pour the beaten egg and let cook at least 30 seconds without stirring, then stir to break the egg.
- Make the Wrap (Medium Size Tortilla): Spread the sour cream on the tortilla. Arrange half of the egg and mushroom and spinach filling on the tortilla. Position it close to the close that is close to you Roll and wrap.
- Toast the Tortilla: Spray the pan with oil and cook each side of the burrito for 5 minutes in medium heat or until crunchy.
- Alternatively, you can also use a panini press or toaster to do this.
- Serve with sour cream or salsa on the side.
Makes 2 medium size burrito or 1 large burrito
- Follow steps 1-4 of the instructions above.
- To Serve in the Morning: Keep the burrito in a sealed container and store in the refrigerator. Continue in step # 5 above.
- To Freeze: Wrap each burrito in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store in a ziplock bag or plastic container up to 3 months.
- To serve, defrost in the refrigerator and heat through burritos in a microwave about 2 minutes
- Oven: Bake in 350F, wrapped in foil, 25 minutes
- Panini Press: On grill setting, cook until the tortilla is brown and with the grill marks on top
My Latest Video
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Spinach Quesedillas
- Meat Free Monday: Chickpea and Cauliflower Egg Wrap
- Meat Free Monday: Avocado and Black Beans Quesedillas
- Meat Free Monday: Mixed Vegetable Fajitas
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Spinach Omelette Enchiladas
- Ham and Cheese Breakfast Quesadilla
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Love these hand-held breakfasts!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Me too! they are also great for grab and go breakfast
LikeLiked by 1 person