I made Low Fat Chocolate Banana Goodness Sponge Muffin last week, and it’s almost gone! By almost gone, I mean, only 2 muffins left. I only made 6 anyways, I ate few pieces and took some at the office. When the supply is down to 2, that means it’s time for me to bake another goodies. This is why I love baking small batch recipe. I get to enjoy the goodies better because I don’t feel forced to finish it, and it gave me chance to bake more variety of sweet treats.
I am enjoying making (and eating) muffins lately, so I had decided to make another one this week. I wasn’t that good in eating my veggies lately, I guess a trick of incorporating veggies in my bake goodies sounds like a good idea. Today, we are making Carrot Muffins!
Why not? I get to enjoy muffins and eat my veggies too. If you love carrot in baked goodies, you will love this muffin. This carrot muffin is the best ever! It’s soft and moist, and I made this even more special with a coconut & pecans streusel toppings.
I know that carrot cupcakes, muffins or cakes calls for Cream Cheese frosting. I always thought it’s never the same without it. I was wrong! Because I try to avoid using cream cheese (if possible) in my bake goodies, so I decided to add streusel toppings instead. It worked! I honestly like it better now with streusel rather than with cream cheese frosting. Streusel is indeed a good substitute for cream cheese frosting. With the chopped pecans and a little bit of shredded coconuts, it was so heavenly! This is one recipe that I am really proud to share with you guys. I cannot wait to share this goodies with my friends.
- 1 tbsp palm sugar or white sugar ( if you want it sweeter add 1 tbsp more)
- 1 1/2 tbsp palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tbsp egg (room temperature) – 1 large egg is normally 4 tbsp
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or any flavorless oil
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cups whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour or oats flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon – optional
- 1/2 cup carrots, grated (normally 1/2 of carrots)
- 1/4 cup raisins or chopped nuts
Coconut & Pecans Streusel Toppings:
- 1 tbsp cold butter (cut into cube or grated, use a large grater)
- 1 tbsp palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp crushed oats, whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened, toasted or not toasted
- Whisk together sugar, egg, vanilla extract and oil until thick and pale in color.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and cinnamon and gradually add to the egg mixture in step 1.
- Lastly, add in the grated carrots and raisins. Do not over mix. Stop once all ingredients are incorporated.
- Scoop the batter in cupcake liners almost to the top.
- Add the struesel on top and sprinkle with some chopped pecans/walnuts and shredded coconuts.
- Bake at 350F (180C) for 20-22 minutes, or until they are firm in the middle and don’t appear damp. This recipe bakes fast.
- Once baked, take them out of the tin and cool on a baking rack until cold.
To prepare the Streusel Toppings: In a small bowl, mix butter, palm/brown sugar and whole wheat/all-purpose flour. Use your hand to crumble them together. It’s ok to have small pieces of butter, it will melt once it starts to bake.
Makes 3 medium size muffins
I hope you like this post. If you do, please click on the “Like”button below or share this post with your friends. Thanks!
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥
Adapted from: Gemma’s Bigger Bolder Baking (with my own modifications)