I made Low Fat Chocolate Banana Goodness Sponge Muffin last week, and it’s almost gone! By almost gone, I mean, only 2 muffins left. I only made 6 anyways, I ate few pieces and took some at the office. When the supply is down to 2, that means it’s time for me to bake another goodies. This is why I love baking small batch recipe. I get to enjoy the goodies better because I don’t feel forced to finish it, and it gave me chance to bake more variety of sweet treats.
I am enjoying making (and eating) muffins lately, so I had decided to make another one this week. I wasn’t that good in eating my veggies lately, I guess a trick of incorporating veggies in my bake goodies sounds like a good idea. Today, we are making Carrot Muffins!
Why not? I get to enjoy muffins and eat my veggies too. If you love carrot in baked goodies, you will love this muffin. This carrot muffin is the best ever! It’s soft and moist, and I made this even more special with a coconut & pecans streusel toppings.
I know that carrot cupcakes, muffins or cakes calls for Cream Cheese frosting. I always thought it’s never the same without it. I was wrong! Because I try to avoid using cream cheese (if possible) in my bake goodies, so I decided to add streusel toppings instead. It worked! I honestly like it better now with streusel rather than with cream cheese frosting. Streusel is indeed a good substitute for cream cheese frosting. With the chopped pecans and a little bit of shredded coconuts, it was so heavenly! This is one recipe that I am really proud to share with you guys. I cannot wait to share this goodies with my friends.
- 1 tablespoon White Sugar ( if you want it sweeter add 1 tbsp more)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Egg (room temperature) – 1 large egg is normally 4 tbsp
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil or any Flavorless Oil
- 1/8 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon – optional
- 1/3 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Carrots, grated (normally 1/2 of medium size carrots)
- 1/4 cup Raisins or Chopped Nuts or combination of both
Coconut & Pecans Streusel Toppings:
- 1 tablespoon cold Butter (cut into cube or grated)
- 1 tablespoon palm Sugar or Brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Rolled Oats, or Whole Wheat Flour or All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped Pecans or Walnuts
- 1 tablespoon Shredded Coconut (sweetened or unsweetened, toasted or not toasted
Note: This is a small batch recipe, for larger batch, just double the recipe
- Dry Ingredients: Mix flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Wet Ingredients: Whisk together sugar, egg, vanilla extract and oil until thick and pale in color.
- Dry + Wet Ingredients: Mix together the dry and wet ingredients mixture until combined, careful not to over mix the batter.
- Add Carrots + Raisins + Nuts: Lastly, add in the grated carrots, raisins and nuts (if using). Do not over mix, stop once all ingredients are incorporated.
- Scoop the batter in cupcake liners almost to the top.
- Make the Streusel Topping: Mix all the streusel toppings until combined. Sprinkle the struesel on top of the muffin and sprinkle with some chopped pecans/walnuts and shredded coconuts.
- Bake at 350F (180C) for 20-22 minutes, or until they are firm in the middle and don’t appear damp. This recipe bakes quickly so pay attention when the top starts to turn and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool: Let cool on a baking rack
To prepare the Streusel Toppings: In a small bowl, mix butter, palm/brown sugar and whole wheat/all-purpose flour. Use your hand to crumble them together. It’s ok to have small pieces of butter, it will melt once it starts to bake.
Makes 3 medium size muffins
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA