Summer, gone too fast. It was good while it lasted though. We had few amazing sunny days and sadly, it is time to say goodbye to Summer and welcome Fall. Maybe not? I intend to keep summer a little bit longer, or maybe to carry Summer to Fall with these beautiful Mini Fruit Pies.
I enjoyed outdoors a lot, doing my picnic at the park while reading my books, biking at Stanley Park, sunset watch at English Bay and Garry Point Park, beach walk at Kitsilano and Jericho, short walks by the Coal Harbour area, nice Fish & Chips and Gelato at Steveston Village, short hike in amazing Sea To Sky, group hike at Rice Lake and a lot of foodies activities, plenty of gelato, yogurt and fresh fruits too. With all these amazing summer activity, it is really hard to say goodbye to summer. So to end my amazing summer, I made these fruit pies. Something that I can bring with me to enjoy during Fall. This is me enjoying Summer in Fall, just a little bit more.
I made three variations for these mini pies. I have Strawberry Pie, Berries Pie (Strawberry & Blueberry) and Peach Pie. I love the sweet and tangy flavor of these fruits when baked and filled into a flakey , buttery and creamy Homemade Flakey Pie Crust.
Since I started making my own Homemade Pie Crust, I made pie more often that I used to. I like making them using my mini pie pans because it allowed me to create different variation, and it’s a nice size for sharing with my friends too. This is the first fruit pie I made using my Homemade Pie Crust and I have to say it went pretty well than expected. The pie crust is buttery, flakey and crispy, a perfect combination with these beautiful peaches and berries.
The unbaked pie can be kept frozen with filling for later baking. This means I can enjoy my pie freshly bake, anytime I want. You can use other fruits too like Raspberry, Blackberry or Apple. You can enjoy this warm straight from the oven (my preference) or cold straight from the fridge. This also goes well with doll up of whipped cream or even better, with Vanilla Ice Cream! Let’s get started!
- Homemade Pie Crust or store-bought Pie Crust
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup fresh strawberries cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp confectioners sugar/icing sugar
- extra granulated sugar for sprinkling on top before baking – I used 1/4 tsp for each mini pies. You may need more if you make a bigger pie. The intention is just to sprinkle sugar on top of the pie to make the top crunchy and it also helps in the browning.
- Prepare Homemade Pie Crust.
- Divide pie crust dough into 6 equal portions (This can also be made for bigger size pie)
- Cover 4 of the mini pie pan with the pie crust dough. Set aside the remaining 2 portions. These will be used to make a strip to cover the top of the mini pies.
- Store in the freezer and chill for 1 hour. You can make this ahead of time if you want to. That is what I normally do, it saves a lot of time and very handy to have it available.
- In a clean bowl, add diced fresh fruits/berries and add 1/4 cup sugar. Mix until fully combined.
- Drain the liquid and fill 4 pie pans with 1/4 cup each of fruit mixture.
- In a clean surface, roll the remaining 2 portions of the pie crust dough and cut into strips. I also made some star cut-out for the top.
- Cover top of the pies with the pie crust strip.
- Chill for another 30 minutes, or these can be kept frozen for baking in a later time.
- Before baking, brush with egg wash (1 Egg + 1 tsp water) or milk and sprinkle top with granulated white sugar, about 1/4 tsp each.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375F for 35 – 40 minutes of until the top starts to brown.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before removing from the pie pan.
Makes 6-8 mini pies
Wrap them individually and freeze for later baking. No need to thaw, when ready to bake, pre-heat the oven to 375F and pop them in. So convenient! Pie anytime you want them.
Thank you for visiting my website. If you like this post, kindly click on the “Like” button below or share this post with your friends.
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥