I love flourless cakes. They uses few ingredients and they are also easy to make, just like this one. I call this 4 x 4 Flourless Chocolate cake because it only used 4 ingredients and have only 4 steps, how easy is that?
Although this is a simple recipe, the finish product is amazing.Unlike the normal flourless cake that is moist, dense and heavy more like on the fudgy side, this one if the opposite.
The texture is soft, moist and most of all, this is lighter than regular flourless cake. The reason being is the separation of egg yolk and egg white. Whipping the egg whites before mixing it to the batter makes the cake lighter as it incorporate air. The result is a decadent light flourless cake. This method is not a secret at all, some cakes and cupcakes uses the same method to get the soft, airy and light texture.
That is the same method I used for all my chiffon cakes and they turned out wonderful. If you look closely, although the texture is light, the cake is still moist, kind of fudgy but not dense. If you have time, try to bake this cake. This is another simple cake recipe just like my Chocolate Cake, but you will be amaze with the result. Sometimes, the simplest recipe give you the best result. Let’s get started!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 large eggs, separating yolks and egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Confectioners’ sugar or Cocoa powder , for dusting – optional
- Sweetened whipped cream or ice cream, for serving – optional
To make a smaller batch, divide the ingredients into half. This is what I did for this post.
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees with the rack in the center. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch spring form pan. Set aside.
- Place butter and chocolate in a large heatproof bowl and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring each time, until completely melted. Let cool slightly. Whisk in egg yolks.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar, and continue beating until glossy stiff peaks form. Whisk 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture; then gently fold in remaining egg whites.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and is set in the center, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack; remove sides of pan. Serve at room temperature, dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Note: The photo in this blog is based from 1/2 of the recipe only. I divided the batter to make a smaller batch. Pan size 6-inch round pan, Baking Time: 40 – 45 min, almost the same time. The pan size is smaller but the cake is thicker.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SweetNSpicyLiving on Social Media Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
Recipe adapted from: Martha Stewart
Categories: Baking, Cakes, Chocolate Cake, Gluten Free, Healthy Option, Recipe
Leave a Reply