A lighter Blueberry Sauce is what my pancakes needed and so I made one and gave in, and it was match made in heaven. This Blueberry Sauce is thick and with bits and pieces of whole Blueberries, plus it all homemade and natural.
I don’t have anything against honey in pancakes, but if I have other option, I would rather choose something fruitlicious like this Blueberry Sauce or Strawberry Sauce. The sweet and tangy citrus taste of those fruits is exactly the reason why I love them for making sauces. When I made my Strawberry Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce I knew immediately that Blueberry Sauce is coming very soon, and what is Blueberry Pancakes without Blueberry Sauce. Since I’m using it for my pancakes anyway, I had decided to make a separate post because I know pancakes is not the only food that I will used it to, there’s more to come.
I opted for a light blueberry sauce, less sugar but still enough sweetness to balance the tangy taste of blueberries. Besides, I am reserving the sweeter version when I make my Blueberry Jam.
This Blueberry Sauce is taste so good, I can put this on anything and I wouldn’t get tired of eating it. I wish I could have fresh blueberries all year round, but sadly that is not possible. We only have 3-4 months Summer in Vancouver and that’s the most of the time that I could get my hands on fresh blueberries. So, I am making the most of it and I’m making this over and over again. I even plan to make more to stock up in my fridge for the rainy and winter days ahead.
This Blueberry Sauce is very quick and easy to make. You can make this in about 15 minutes or less. The recipe uses only 2 tbsp of sugar to keep it light, and 3 tbsp of water just to add more juice to the sauce. I added a little bit of cornstarch to thicken it a bit, and zest of lemon just to further enhance the flavor. The end result is a light Blueberry Sauce, with subtle sweetness and a just right consistency that is perfect for pouring. Just look at how it pours over those pancakes, gorgeous. This is a small batch that yields about 250ml which for me is a prefect small bath size. Let me show you how I made this. let’s get started!
- 1 cup Blueberries
- 3 tbsp granulated white sugar (or more if you like it sweeter)
- 1/8 tsp salt (I used fine salt)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- lemon zest of 1 lemon (optional)
- Wash blueberries and transfer in a pan. Add sugar, salt, cornstarch and lemon zest (if using).
- Cook over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes until the sugar dissolves, and the blueberry becomes soft. Use a spoon to mash some of the blueberries, leave few whole pieces. The ideal consistency should not be thick like a jam, it should be a little bit runny. When you scoop a spoonful it should easily run down from the spoon without sticking. The consistency is greatly affected on how ripe and how much juice comes out from the blueberries. It could be more or less 10 minutes, but adjust as needed. If you want a thicker consistency, cook the sauce longer and add more cornstarch.
- Storage: Set aside and let it cool completely. Store in an airtight container or jar and refrigerate. It could last about 7 – 10 days in the refrigerator
- For Use as Pie Filling: Cook for another 5 more minutes or until the sauce is reduced to consistency that is perfect for pie filling.
Makes about 250ml
This sauce can be used for pancake, cheesecake, biscuit, sundae/ice cream and MORE!
- Small Batch Peach Pie Filling
- [VIDEO] Homemade Cinnamon Apple Filling
- Homemade Pineapple Filling – Quick & Easy!
- Small Batch Fresh Blueberry Sauce/Filling
- [VIDEO] How To Make Fresh Strawberry Sauce/Filling
- Small Batch Strawberry Jam (No Preservative Added)
- Small Batch Homemade Cherry Sauce
- Small Batch Blueberry Jam (No Refined Sugar Added)
- Small Batch Blackberry Chia Seed Jam
- 5 Easy Homemade Pie Filling
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.