This Asparagus and Tomato Salad is one of the easiest salad to make, but it taste good. It has the fresh crunchy taste I asparagus and sweet and sour taste of balsamic vinegar and a nice touch of texture from feta cheese and chopped kalamata olives. I’ve always love salad and even more something that is so quick to prepare. This salad is always my go to specially when I buy quite a lot of asparagus. I love the nutty taste of asparagus, and I find it easy to pair with almost anything. I had it mixed with chicken when I made Chicken Pesto with Asparagus and Tomato, and I also use it to add some veggie in my breakfast when I make Poach Egg with Asparagus. Given the chance I also like to grill it or steam it like my Grilled Asparagus and Feta Salad. There is really so many ways to use Asparagus and I hope you’ll find anyone of these as something that interesting for you to try. I’ll give a short description below of each of the asparagus dish I have so that you can have an idea how they look like. I you are like me, visual representation always is a nice way to convince me to try new dishes.
Now, back to this simple salad. The most that you will do it is blanch the asparagus, I like mine slightly crunchy so I only blanch if for 1 minute then I transfer it in a bowl with cold water to stop it from cooking. You can also steam it, bake or grill it, cook it the way you like it. Since this is a salad, it’s not a strict recipe when It comes to ingredients and measurement. Take what I have here as a guide, and make as much or less as you like. I used tomato, feta and olives because I think they work well together but if you have any other vegetables in mind that you like to add, then go for it. The sauce is a simple olive oil and balsamic vinegar but any of your favorite salad dressing will work here. My preference with salad like dish is a simple sweet and sour dressing or any balsamic dressing as it enhances the taste of asparagus better. This salad is perfect to have in its own, but my favorite way to enjoy this is ton pair it with pan seared or grilled salmon, and sometimes with roasted or baked chicken. I hope you’ll give it a try, and if you do kindly let me know how you like it. Let’s get started!
- 500g Asparagus
- 1/2 cup sliced cherry tomato
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup half kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup feta cheese or goat cheese
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil – divided ( 1tbsp for the tomato and 1 tbsp for the dress)
- 6 cups water
- Wash and trim the hard end of the asparagus. Set aside.
- In a heated pan, add 1 tbsp of oil and add the sliced tomato. Mix until the tomato juices starts to flow and the skin starts to slightly wrinkle. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. You can also skip this step and use the tomato as is.
- In a large pan, bring water to boil then close the stove as soon as it starts to boil. Put the asparagus in the pan and let sit for 1 minute. If you want a softer asparagus texture, you can leave it in the boiling water longer.
- Remove and transfer in a large bowl with iced water to stop it from cooking. Drain and aside.
- Arrange the blanch asparagus in a large plate, top with sliced tomato and kalamata olives and garnish with feta cheese.
- Dressing: Mix olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Pour dressing on top of the prepared salad and sprinkle top with feta or goat cheese.
Serves 2 -3
Checkout my other Meat Free Dishes here
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.