This Quinoa with Mushroom and Egg Breakfast Bowl is one of my favorite savory breakfast any day of the year, but even more in the first months of the year. All the delicious sweet treats from the holiday season is still fresh on my mind, but I’m ready to go back to eating something healthy again. This breakfasts bowl is almost a no recipe at all. You could probably do better than this, but I really want to share this with you to inspire you to make breakfast, and not just any breakfast.
Did You Know That QUINOA is ..
- is a grain crop, but the one that we eat is actually the seed. So it is technically a seed and not a grain. It’s pronounced KEEN-wah
- very high in fiber as compared to most grains
- gluten free
- high in protein
- good for blood sugar control because it has low glycemic index
- high in magnesium and iron
- very high in antioxidant
- easy to incorporate in daily diet
Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner
There’s nothing fancy about this, or complicated. It’s a bowl filled with basic ingredient that you already probably have in your refrigerator. It’s easy to customize, make it for breakfast or add some more vegetables and protein and have it for lunch or dinner. The good thing about this, you don’t need any cooking skills to make this healthy delicious bowl.
What are the Ingredients for Quinoa with Mushroom and Egg Breakfast Bowl?
- Quinoa – Choose from Tri-Color, White or Brown Quinoa
- Olive Oil – Only needed if you choose to cook the cherry tomato
- Egg – Choose how you like your egg serve. Soft or hard boiled, scrambled, poach, fried or sunny side up
- Tomato – Cherry tomato is my preference, or any juicy tomato like Vine or Roma Tomato
- Mushroom – Any kind of Mushroom, but I highly recommend you use fresh and not canned
- Asparagus – I used the thin Asparagus for faster cooking but the big one are as good. You just have to cook it longer
- Salt & Pepper – For taste. You can add or use other spices, I added some Chili flakes while I’m eating it
- Italian Seasoning & Dried Basil – This can be substituted with other dried or fresh herbs
How to Make Egg and Asparagus Tomato Breakfast
- Choose Your Quinoa: This breakfast bowl uses quinoa as the base ingredient. I used multi-color Quinoa but a regular white or brown Quinoa will work as good. For some reason, I find the tri-color or even the brown quinoa have a more nutty taste while the white tends to be softer and mushy. Again, I leave the choice to you.
- Choose the Protein: Because I wanted this to be vegetarian, I added scramble egg for protein. You can also add cold cuts meat. If you are making it for lunch or dinner and you are not vegetarian, you can add chicken, salmon or even fish.
- Choose Your Egg: I added scrambled egg, you can also make hard boiled egg, poach egg, fried egg or sunny saw up egg.
- Choose Your Veggie: I added Asparagus, tomato and mushroom. You can also add bell peppers, spinach, kale, avocado and other veggie you like for breakfast
- Put Them Together: Once you’ve decided on these 3 main component of this dish, it time to make it. Start by cooking the quinoa since this is what takes more time. You can do this at night, store it in the refrigerator for us win the morning. Cook the egg the way you like it and set it aside. If you choose soft or hard boiled egg, you can also do it at night and refrigerate. For the Tomato, you can use fresh cherry tomato or ripe vine tomato. For this recipe, I opted to cook the tomato to extract the juice. I find that it makes the dish more flavorful and not dry. I used the same pan to cook the mushroom and asparagus. For seasoning, just a sprinkle of salt, pepper and dried basil. I would have added some Avocado but I run out of it.
This is a very flexible dish, and a great way to use your leftover for breakfast. Plus, you can make it at night and just re-heat it in the morning
- 1/4 cup uncooked Quinoa
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Egg
- 4 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 10 pieces Cherry Tomato
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 5 pieces Brown Mushroom – sliced
- 5 pieces Asparagus – hard end trimmed, remaining cut into small pieces
- Cook Quinoa as per package instruction. Add dash of salt, pepper and Italian seasoning (or other herbs and spices like dried Basil, Oregano, Rosemary, Parsley etc). Let sit covered for at least 5 minutes then transfer in a heated greased pan. Toast for 5 minutes until the Quinoa is slightly toasted. If you do not want to toast it, you can use the cook Quinoa as is. Transfer in a serving bowl.
- Cook the Egg: I like mine scrambled but feel free cook the egg the way you like it. Beat the egg in a bowl then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour in a lightly heated and grease pan. Cook for 1 minute without moving then start to move or push the egg around. This slow movement and mixing will give a softer scrambled egg. Once the egg is slightly cook with few wet spots, flip then turn of the heat. The remaining heat should cook the egg. Transfer in the serving bowl with cooked Quinoa.
- Cook the Veggie: In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the cherry tomato then sprinkle with salt, pepper and dried basil. Cover and cook in low heat for 10 minutes. Check at 5 minutes and stir. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes or until the tomato starts to burst and you can see juices coming out. Transfer in the serving bowl with the cooked Quinoa and tomato. In the same pan, add oil, Mushroom and Asparagus. Cook until Mushroom and Asparagus are cook to your liking. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer in the serving bowl with the cooked Quinoa, tomato and egg.
- Serve: ENJOY! You can add slice Avocado, or garnish it with some fresh herbs and sprinkle of red chili flakes.
- Sweet Potato and Toasted Quinoa Bowl
- Sweet Potato and Egg Breakfast Boat
- Crunchy Baked Tofu Wrap
- Green Goddess Avocado Sandwich
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my videos and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA