Egg roll in a Bowl is a twist on the classic egg roll. It has the component on an egg roll, less the rolling and instead having all the ingredients in a bowl. This is a one bowl of delicious, veggie loaded meal that you can make in 30 minutes.
I’m late in the Egg Roll in a bowl party. Apparently this has been going on in the Internet for a long time now, people are going crazy making their own variation. Some like it vegetarian, some like it with meat. Some recipe uses the short cut package coleslaw mix and some like chopping their own vegetables. In this recipe, I chose to make my life easier, with less mess and a meal ready in 30 minutes. This means using a packaged coleslaw and I added some minced beef for flavor and protein.
What is Egg Roll?
Egg Roll is a savory roll wrapped in a thin flour wrapper and filled with assortment of vegetables, mostly cabbage and some minced meat. It is a deep fried appetizer that is common in Chinese restaurants.
What is Egg Roll?
Egg roll in a bowl is Egg Roll served in a bowl. No wrapping the vegetables and meat and no deep frying. In a lot of ways, it is a healthier version. It is served as a main dish or something as a salad as opposed to being served as appetizer. It is an entirely different look as compared to traditional egg roll. It is a totally different experience, and hence I wouldn’t say that you will get the same satisfaction. They’re both two different dish although they have similarity in ingredient, but is a good variation that you can make on top of the traditional Egg Roll. .
Ingredients for Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Olive Oil – Use just enough oil to avoid making the vegetable greasy. You can use any flavorless oil, olive oil is just my personal preference
- Beef – Minced beef is my preference but you can use chicken, turkey or pork
- Yellow Onion – I like yellow onion as it is sweeter, but you can also use white or red onion if that is your preference
- Garlic – I like a mild garlic taste, you can use more if you prefer stronger garlic flavor
- Ginger – Ginger gives a milk heat to the vegetable
- Red Chili Flakes – I like mine hot, if you do not like it spicy you can remove it or reduce the amount
- Salt – Since we are using soy sauce, add salt gradually and adjust as needed
- Soy Sauce – This will give the salty taste to the dish
- Brown Sugar – a slight sweetness to balance the salt
- Sesame Oil – If you haven’t used sesame oil before, add it in small amount as it has a very strong distinct taste. You can skip it if you are not sure about the taste
- Sesame Seed – Sesame seeds adds a nice freckles of crunch but not too much, it also gives a nice nutty flavor
- Coleslaw (397g) – You can make your own coleslaw mix, but I prefer using the ready to use coleslaw for quicker process. You can also use Kaleslaw or Broccolli slaw. Any mix of shredded vegetables will work. This is a good way to use leftover scraps vegetables.
- Lime Juice – A small amount goes a long way here, a squeeze of fresh lime juice makes a difference. It adds a nice fresh ctirus flavor to the dish
How to Make Egg Roll in a Bowl
Start by mixing all the ingredients for the sauce. You can taste the sauce and adjust it as needed or add more seasoning halfway to the cooking.
Once the sauce has been mixed, cook the meat in the skillet. Use a hot skillet to get a nice browning of the beef and to make it slightly crispy. Cook until the juice has reduced and the meat is almost crispy, or cook it to your preference. Add the sauce and stir. Add the coleslaw mix and cook for 1-2 minutes. Do not over cook as the vegetable will get soggy. Add squeeze of lime juice and chopped Cilantro then remove from the heat. That simple! You now have a simple delicious dish. You can enjoy it as is, or serve it with rice or noodles, your choice.
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 160g minced Beef
- 1/4 cup yellow Onion – chopped
- 1 clove Garlic – minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger – minced
- 1/3 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Seed
- 1 pack Coleslaw (397g)
- 3 tablespoon Cilantro – chopped
- 1/2 Lime Juice
- Mix the Sauce: In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, black pepper, red chili pepper and ginger. Set aside.
- Cook the Vegetables: In a heated pan, add oil and onion. Cook until onion is no longer translucent. Add minced beef and cook until the beef is nicely browned. Add the minced garlic and the sauce. Cook another minutes. Add the coleslaw and cilantro and cook until the coleslaw is cook to your liking. Turn off the heat and squeeze in some lime juice. Transfer in a serving bowl.
My Other Videos:
- Teriyaki Tofu Buddha Bowl
- Bokchoy Fried Rice
- Spicy Tofu and Cilantro Lime Rice Bowl
- Sweet Potato Fries Buddha Bowl
- Chicken Vermicelli Soup
- Mushroom and Asparagus Fried Rice with Egg
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Tuna & Bok Choy Rice Bowl
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter | YouTube
Categories: Cooking, Meatless Dish, Recipe, Vegetarian
LikeLiked by 1 person
One of my favorites!
LikeLiked by 2 people
Me too 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person