This recipe is a great way to turn your sweet potato into something delicious, fun and more interesting. A big bowl full of mix greens, baked sweet potato fries, baked spiced chickpea, nutty Edemame Seed, some fresh Strawberry served with homemade Tahini dressing. A feast of delicious treat in a bowl, enjoy this Sweet Potato Fries Buddha Bowl Salad.
Some Facts About Sweet Potato
- Sweet Potato is not the same as Yam.
- Sweet Potato is high in glycemic index (GI), which makes unsuitable for people with type 2 diabetes.
- Sweet potatoes are mainly composed of carbs. Most of the carbs come from starch, followed by fiber. This root vegetable is also relatively low in protein, but high in fiber.
- Depending on the variety, sweet potato flesh can vary from white to orange and even purple.
- February is National Sweet Potato Month
- North Carolina’s official vegetable is the sweet potato
- Sweet potatoes are high in beta carotene, vitamins E and C, iron, potassium and vitamin B6.
One of the thing that I like to challenge myself is creating beautiful delicious meals using whatever I have in my fridge at the moment. Today’s challenge was for me to use my sweet potato, mix greens, leftover chickpea and tahini dressing. With all these ingredients on hand, that first thing that came to mind was salad. What else could be better use for mix greens anyway?
The Sweet Potato
I wanted it to be not just a regular salad, so this is where the sweet potato came in. Instead of eating it on its own boiled (my favorite way) I thought making it into a fries will be nice for a change. Instead of deep fried fries, I opted to bake it for a healthier version, we already have a lot of carbs here so why add more fat by frying it. I coated it with some flour and spices to make it slightly crispy.
For the chickpea, I had about 1/3 cup left when I cooked my dried chickpea for my Carrot Turmeric Hummus. 1/3 was more than enough for me. I had it spiced just like my Homemade Spiced Chickpea recipe. I then had it baked, cooking it in a hot skillet will work too.
The Tahini Dressing
I used my small batch homemade Tahini dressing recipe. I did not need much, my leftover 3 tablespoon was just perfect, exact actually. Tahini dressing is so easy to make. It is literally just mixing all the ingredients together, no more no less. You can have it thick or thin depending on your preference
Once all 3 main ingredients are ready, simply arrange it in a bowl. Start by adding the mix greens. You can use lettuce, spinach, kale or those ready mix salad. Drizzle with some tahini dressing and toss. Add the baked sweet potato fries and spiced chickpea. You can add other vegetables that you like. Some toaster bell pepper will be nice too, or steamed broccoli , cauliflower, or Asparagus. I added Edemame seeds and few pieces of fresh Strawberry. You can use other Berries, Avocado or Mango. Once all is on the bowl, drizzle some tahini dressing on top, and serve the remaining dressing on the side. All that’s left is for you to enjoy it.
The nutrition facts for 3.5 ounces (100 grams) of raw sweet potatoes are
- Calories: 86
- Water: 77%
- Protein: 1.6 grams
- Carbs: 20.1 grams
- Sugar: 4.2 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Fat: 0.1 grams
How to Store Sweet Potato
Did you know that storing sweet potatoes in the refrigerator will produce a hard center and unpleasant taste? So instead of storing it in the refrigerator, store your sweet potatoes in a cool, dry, well-ventilated container. Sweet potatoes can be stored for up to two weeks.
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 cup Chickpea
- 1 medium Sweet Potato – cut into strips
- 2 tablespoon Edemame Seed
- 1/4 teaspoon Sesame Seed (optional)
- 1 cup of mix Greens
- 3 tablespoon Tahini
- 3 tablespoon Water
- 1/2 juice Lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 clove Garlic
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Prepare the Potato: Cut the sweet potato in strip, about 1/4 thick. Transfer in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- Prepare the Flour Coating: Mix the all-purpose flour, salt, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Coat the Sweet Potato: Coat the sweet potato with the flour mixture.
- Bake: Arrange the sweet potato in a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and flip each strip for even cooking. Return to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Make the Spiced Chickpea: Get the full recipe HERE
- Make the Tahini Dressing: In a bowl, mix all ingredients until combined.
- Serve: Arrange the mix greens in a bowl, sweet potato, spiced chickpea and edemame seed.
Nutritional Information was calculated using Veryfitwell Recipe Calorie and Nutrition Calculator. For details about Nutritional Information in this website, please read the Disclaimer page.
My Latest Video
Click the item to get the full recipe
- Sweet Potato and Egg Breakfast Boat
- Sweet Potato and Toasted Quinoa Bowl
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Mashed Sweet Potato Oatmeal
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
Follow SweetNSpicyLiving on Social Media
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter | YouTube
Categories: Cooking, Healthy Option, Recipe, Savoury, Vegetarian
Leave a Reply