A creamy pasta sauce made from sweet spaghetti squash that had been roasted and puréed. This Butternut Squash Spaghetti Casserole will change the way you look at squash. A vegetable turned into a creamy pasta sauce, smooth and naturally sweet and seriously delicious
As much as I love my Homemade Tomato Pasta Sauce , I am always open to trying new things when it comes to food. I like experimenting on ingredients to see what works and what doesn’t, it’s always nice to find new ways to use ingredients in different way. Like when I did my Spaghetti Squash Alfredo Pasta, although using spaghetti squash is no longer something new, it’s really nice to give it a try. I actually liked it, and I had been making several times already.
This time, I thought I’d give butternut squash a chance. I like stocking up pasta at home. Pasta is probably one of the easiest meal that I can make in less than 30 minutes. With the pasta sauce already ready and prepared ahead of time, all I need to do is to cook the pasta, how difficult could that be? This is why having a homemade pasta sauce is super convenient, a big batch of my homemade Tomato Pasta is all I need to keep me fed during busy days, now I have added this creamy Butternut Pasta Sauce to my list.
Because of the soft texture of squash when cooked, the sauce as expected turned out to be smooth. The addition of butter and cream made it even creamy and delicious. Then a dash of my basic spices garlic, salt, pepper and more cheese completes the taste. You wouldn’t have any difficulty convincing someone to try this, I love this so much I starting to get obsessed with this pasta. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. Let’s get started!
- 1 lb Butternut Squash – diced and seeds removed
- 150 grams Brussels Sprouts – cut into half (Can be substituted with mushrooms)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 5 tablespoon Cream or Milk (can d substituted with coconut cream or coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup Broth
- 1 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cook the Pasta: Cook the pasta as per package instruction. You can use spaghetti, fettuccine, penne, almost any kind of pasta will work. Drain the pasta but do not rinse. Transfer in a baking dish. Set aside while you make the Butternut Squash sauce.
- Prepare the Butternut Squash: Wash and cut butternut squash.
- Season: Transfer the Butternut Squash and Brussel Sprouts in a bowl. Drizzle olive oil and add 1/4 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper. Toss until covered with oil.
- Bake: Transfer in a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, turn the vegetables after 15 minutes then return to the oven.
- Puree the Butternut Squash: Transfer the squash into food processor, blender or chopper. If you do me have this, you can use a cheese grater instead or a potato masher. Add butter, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic , salt, pepper, sugar, broth and cream. Process until smooth and creamy. Transfer in a pan then add Parmesan cheese and cook for 3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- At this stage, you already have a Butternut Squash Sauce for use in your pasta dish. This recipe makes about 1 1/4 cup sauce. If you want a big batch, simply double the measurement and adjust seasoning as desired. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Bake: Arrange the Brussels Sprout on top of the pasta, followed by goat cheese or mozzarella cheese. Pour pasta sauce on top. Sprinkle top with mozzarella cheese Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt and some spots starts to brown.
Serves 2 – 3
My Latest Video
- Broccoli and Feta Pasta Salad
- Caponata Eggplant Pasta
- Homemade Vegan Pasta Noodles
- Mushroom Bourguignon Pasta
- Baked Puff Pastry Pesto Pasta
- Garlic Lemon Butter Primavera Pasta
- One Pan Tomato Pasta Sauce
- Vegetarian Eggplant & Zucchini Lasagna
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA