This thick and creamy Curry Tofu in Coconut Sauce is one Meat Free Monday dish that I love to make over and over again. Well, anything with coconut milk, I love dearly.
I have a “thing” with thick and creamy sauces ever since I started cooking. I was into cooking first before I got into baking. When I was still living in the Philippines, I used to cook for my family and that is one thing I missed the most when I moved here in Canada. Although I don’t cook big batch of meals anymore, I still make it a point to prepare my own food at home. There’s nothing like a home cook meals not to mention it is not practical to be eating out every day of the week. We don’t have a cafeteria in the building where I work so I bring my own lunch with me. Lunch is the main meal I have in a day and so I like to make something filling and delicious. This tofu curry is something that made often. It is easy to prepare, and I like the thick and creamy sauce so much especially when serve on top of a steaming white rice. Although tofu dish is known for sometimes being bland and tasteless, this one is far from it. The spices and tomato and coconut cream made this Tofu Curry flavorful and thick.
Coconut Cream vs Coconut Milk
I wasn’t aware of coconut cream until just few years ago, and since then I had been using it more than I used coconut milk for cooking. Coconut cream has a thicker consistency and coconut cream content than water content. Coconut cream gives a thicker creamier sauce when used in cooking. Coocnut milk on the other hand has more water content in it which gives you less thicker sauce. Even if you skim out the cream part, you will only end up getting a very small portion of cream in one can. For sauces, I personally like using the Cococnut Cream because of the richer and creamier consistency it gives to teh dish. If you decide to use coconut milk instead, put the coconut milk in the freezer for about 30 minutes or more until the cream is thick and solid enough to scoop out.
What Type of Tofu to Use?
I used firm tofu for this recipe because I had it simmered in the sauce longer for the sauce to really get thick and creamy and for the tofu to absorbed the flavor. Check the label of the tofu and make sure you don’t get the soft tofu as it will get mushy and it easily break when you cook it.
Last but not the least, you can add vegetables if you like. I only added red bell pepper but carrots, potato, green peas or even eggplant will be a good addition to. This is a simple dish to make, let me show you how I made it. Let’s get started.
- 350g firm Tofu
- 2 tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 clove Garlic – minced
- 1/4 cup white Onion – chopped
- 1 Tomato – diced
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon Salt (add gradually)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2/3 cup Coconut Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Curry Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 2 teaspoon granulated Sugar
- 1/2 of large Bell Pepper
Note: If you do not like spicy curry, simply decrease of omit the peppers in the recipe.
1.Cook the Tofu: Cut the tofu into cubes then coat with all-purpose flour. Heat the pan and pour 1 tbsp oil. Fry the tofu until all sides are browned. Set aside while you make the sauce.
2. Make the Sauce: In the same pan, add oil and sauté onion and garlic until fragrant and onion is translucent. Add tomato and cook until soft. Add salt, pepper, paprika, chili flakes, curry powder, turmeric, sugar, tomato paste and coconut cream. Stir then cover and cook until sauce thickens to your liking. Alternatively, if you can also use coconut milk and skim out the thick cream portion. Add cooked tofu and vegetables and continue cooking in low heat for about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Tofu and Eggplant Lettuce Wrap
- Crunchy Baked Tofu Wrap
- Chickpea & Cauliflower Spinach & Egg Wrap
- BBQ Cauliflower Vegan Pizza
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Creamy Chickpea Curry
- Zucchini and Chickpea Salad
- Baked Tofu Nuggets
- Panko Crusted Tofu
- Chickpea & Tofu Peanut lettuce Wrap
- Spicy Tofu & Cilantro Lime Rice Bowl
- Tofu Skewers
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA