A quick and easy No Bake Rocky Road Chocolate Bar loaded with mini marshmallow and peanuts that has been coated with melted dark chocolate and topped with more peanuts. This No bake chocolate bar is the easiest dessert ever, not to me mention so decadent and sinfully delicious.
I’m not really a huge fan of marshmallow, but I do enjoy it from time to time. This recipe was inspired by the Rocky Road Bar I had in one of the cafe in downtown Vancouver. It was so good that I cannot stop thinking about it, until finally I decided to finally make it at home. How hard could it be? No baking, no hand mixer, simple ingredients these alone are reason for you to make this as well.
Behind The Scene Testing
This is a simple recipe, but I made this 3 times before I finally got the perfect ratio between marshmallow and chocolate. The first time I made this, it ended up too thick and sweet to my liking, but to my surprise my friend so love that Chunky Marshmallow Chocolate Bar and so I decided to keep it. I will share it in a separate post. The 2nd try lacks chocolate but too much marshmallow, but still taste delicious. I guess that kid really just love marshmallow and peanut butter. This 3rd try however turned out perfect. Right amount of everything, marshmallow, chocolate and peanuts. A perfect balance I would say. So finally, I am ready to share it with you guys. I hope that you will give it a try.
Ingredients for Rocky Road Chocolate Bar
- Mini Marshmallow – Although the big marshmallow will work too, the mini marshmallow is the best way to go for this recipe. You may need more chocolate if you use the big marshmallow
- Dark Chocolate Chips – Semi-sweet will work, but since the marshmallow is quite sweet, using dark chocolate is a better option
- Peanut Butter – If you do not like peanut butter, you can skip this. i only used 1 tablespoon anyway. Be aware though that if you add more peanut butter, the chocolate mixture will be too thick and you may need to add more butter, about 1 tablespoon
- Butter – This is very important to thin out the chocolate especially we are using chocolate chips which do not melt easily. If using chop chocolate, use 2 tablespoon of butter first and just add the remaining 1 tablespoon as needed. Bar chocolate are more fluid when melted as compared to chocolate chips
- Honey – This is important to keep the melted chocolate not too hard
- Vanilla Extract – This is a small amount, but it adds nice flavor. if you do not have it, you can skip it
- Salt – to balance the sweetness, add a pinch of salt
- Peanut – I used roasted lightly salted peanuts, you can use unsalted too
How to Make Rocky Road Chocolate Bar
As I mentioned earlier, this is such an easy chocolate dessert to make. Start by melting the chocolate. There are 2 ways you can do this.
2 Ways to Melt the Chocolate
- Microwave Method: Every microwave is different from household to household. Higher wattage will mean shorter time to melt the chocolate. Microwave the chocolate in 30 seconds interval just to be safe. Mix after each interval until the chocolate is fully melted. In my microwave, it took 1 1/2 minutes.
- Bain Marie Method: If you are not comfortable with using microwave, you can use this method. Simply pour water in a pan and bring it to a simmer. Put the bowl with chocolate on top of the pan with simmering water, make sure that the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Stir until the chocolate is fully melted
Once the chocolate is melted, simply add the mini marshmallow, vanilla extract (if using), salt and peanuts. Mix until the marshmallow and peanuts are fully covered with chocolate.
Transfer in a pan lined with aluminum foil. This is very important so that it will be easy to remove it later.
Chilling is required, sorry but you have to wait before you could get your hands in this chocolate bars. Chill at least 1 hour, you can even leave this overnight in the refrigerator. Remember, chilling is a MUST.
When it is time to slice, the easiest way is to dip the knife in hot water. This makes the slicing easier.
Tips in Making Rocky Road Chocolate Bar
- Chocolate Chips vs Chopped Chocolate Bar: There will be a difference in consistency when you use chocolate chips as opposed to chopped chocolate. Using chocolate chips will produce a thicker chocolate when melted, while chopped chocolate will be a little bit more fluid. This is because chocolate chip have stabilizer in it that makes it withstand heat to prevent easy melting. When using chopped chocolate, start by using 2 tablespoon of butter as add only the remaining 1 tablespoon as needed
- Work as fast as possible. Mixing is easier while the chocolate is warm, when it Starts to solidify, the chocolate will not coat the marshmallow evenly
- Chilling is recommended, in fact it is a MUST. To get a nice clean finish when slicing, you need to have the chocolate solid.
- 1 1/2 cups/150g Mini Marshmallow
- 1 1/2 cups/120 grams Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1 tablespoon Peanut Butter
- 3 tablespoon unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Peanut (Divided: Set aside 1 tablespoon for toppings)
- Prepare the Pan: line a 5×5 pan with aluminum foil and grease with oil. Set aside
- Melt the Chocolate: In a microwave safe bowl, transfer the chocolate chips, butter and peanut butter. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes in 30 seconds interval, stirring after each interval until the chocolate if fully melted. Add honey, vanilla extract and salt. Stir to combine
- Add 1/2 of the mini marshmallow and mix, then as the remaining half and continue mixing. Add the peanuts and mix until distributed.
- Transfer in the prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining peanuts on top.
- Chill at least 1 hour or until the chocolate is solid and hard. You can also cover and leave it overnight in the refrigerator.
- Cut: Dip the knife in hot water. Cut into 4 bars or 6 for smaller portion.
Large – 4 square bars; Medium – 6 Rectangle bars; Small – 16 Square bars
Nutritional Information was calculated using Veryfitwell Recipe Calorie and Nutrition Calculator. For details about Nutritional Information in this website, please read the Disclaimer page.
My Latest Video
Click the item to get the full recipe
- Fruit and Nuts Chocolate Bar
- Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Bar
- Cream Cheese Fudgy Brownie
- Marble Bark Chocolate
- One Bowl Fudy Brownie
- Soft and Chewy Brownie Thins
- Pistachio and Cranberry Bark Chocolate
- No Bake Fruits and Nuts Chocolate Bar
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
Follow SweetNSpicyLiving on Social Media
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter | YouTube
Categories: Bark Chocolates, No Bake, Recipe, Video, Video Recipes
Leave a Reply