This All-Veggie Tortilla Pinwheels with Roasted Bell Pepper Hummus is simple healthy snack or lunch option to get us back on track after feasting on all the delicious meals and treats tat we enjoyed during the Holiday season.This is a simple vegetarian wrap, filled with assorted vegetables, dressed with homemade roasted bell pepper hummus, rolled and sliced before serving.
These past few days, I had been turning to simple and easy recipes to keep me happy and full. The likes pansheet dinners, salads, sandwhiches and wraps are some of my favorite go to meals. What’s not to like? They are very easy to make, and the ingredients are simple and can easily be mix and match. The perfect chance to use small pieces of left over vegetables. Plus, they require no time at all to prepare, and most of the time you do not even need a recipe to make them.
This tortilla wrap or tortilla pinwheel is one of those kind of dish. Simple, easy and budget friendly. Let us talk about what you will need to make this.
The Choice of Soft Tortilla
You can use any type of soft tortilla. I used Spinach tortilla for this one, whole wheat, or the classic white tortilla will be as good, or even corn tortilla if you can find a large one. Take the tortilla out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before using it. This way it is a bit soft and pliable which will make the rolling easier. If you forgot to do that, simly microwave the tortilla for about 15 – 20 seconds. Do not microwave for too long or it will be crispy.
The Choice of Hummus
You’ve probably made a lot of wraps (or maybe not?), so you know how easy and convenient it is for a quick snack or meal. This is also a great option to serve for appetizer, one easy recipe to make. There is nothing complicated here, basically the most that you have to do is to make the hummus. You can use store-bought hummus to make it easier, but I personally like making my own. Homemade is always 100% better for me, no preservatives and I get to control what I add in it. At the end of the day, it is up to you to decide depending on how much time you have on hand, plus your budget. I used my Roasted Bell Pepper Hummus, and added some turmeric powder in it for more vibrant color. Turmeric powder have plenty of health benfits so I like to add them a lot t my foods whenever possible. Any variation of hummus will work just fine, I left some of my favorite homemade hummus at the end of the post so be sure to read till the end. The hummus replaces the salad spread, dressing or mayonnaise. I have nothing against them, in fact I used those from time to time. But this time around, I want to make this pinwheel a little bit healthier, just to compensate for all the sweets I ate during the Holiday season. It is time to go back on track, but going back on track doesn’t mean depriving myself of delicous meals. For me, this certainly is not boring or bland.
- Jalapeno and Cilantro Hummus
- Classic Chickpea Hummus
- Spinach and Feta Hummus
- Turmeric Spiced Hummus
- Spicy Moroccan Hummus
- Red Bell Pepper Hummus
The Choice of Vegetables
This is where it gets better. You can play around and use vegetables that you like. You do not have to be restricted to what I listed here. Cucumbers, Spinach, corn kernel, cooked Cauliflower are great options as well. You can also add some protein, like cooked tofu or tempeh. This part is very flexible, use what you like to eat, check your refrigerator for any left over veggies that are begging to be used.
- 1 large Soft Tortilla (any variation will work)
- 3 tablespoon Hummus (any variation will work)
- 1/4 Small Roasted of fresh Bell Pepper (any color will work) – cut into strips
- 1/4 Small Carrots – thinly sliced
- 1 Large Red Radish – thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Lettuce (or other greens like Spinach, Mix Greens) – shredded
- Salt & Pepper to taste
The ingredients are very flexible. You can use adjust the measurements or use other vegetables that you like. Use this as a guide, be creative and use vegetables that you like to eat
- Make the Hummus: You can make any flavor of hummus or you can also use store-bought hummus. Click here for the Roasted Bell Pepper Hummus Recipe. This can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Fill the Tortilla Lay the soft tortilla on a flat surface. Spread hummus on top, leaving 1-inch boarder without hummus. Arrange the sliced carrots, bell pepper, radish and lettuce. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
- Roll: Starting from the end close to you, roll the tortilla as tight as possible. Use a toothpick to mark and portion the pinwheels. Cut 1-inch of both ends to remove the excess without filling. Divide the tortilla into 10 pieces.
- Serve: Arrange in a plate and serve hummus on the side plus extra fresh vegetables. Add cherry tomato and kalamata olives on top of each piece
Other Appetizer Ideas:
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Cheese Hand Pie
- Puff Pastry Jalapeño and Cheese Bites
- BBQ Pulled Chicken Puff Pastry Bites, Easy Holiday Appetizer
- Baked Garlic Parmesan Puffs
- Make-Ahead Appetizer: Mini Pigs in a Blanket
- Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry Melt
- Mini Chocolate Puff Pastry Croissant
- Pigs in a Blanket
- Margherita Puff Pastry Bites
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
These would be lovely on a party table as well!
LikeLiked by 1 person
You read my mind 🙂 That was my intention
LikeLiked by 1 person
We will have parties again!
LikeLiked by 1 person