Shortbread cookie is one Holiday cookie that is a favorite of the crowd. They are so easy to make, with simple ingredients and steps, and they taste absolutely crazy good. Today, I am sharing another shortbread variation, my Shortbread Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookie with one unusual ingredient that is normally not found in shortbread cookie. This one ingredient is the secret to a creamy, buttery, melt in your mouth shortbread cookie. Interested? Go ahead and scroll down, but not too fast though. Take your time to drool over this thick creamy shortbread cookie.
Are you tired of cookies yet? Give me few more days and I’ll stop bombarding you with cookie post, I’m sorry but I’m really obsessed with making cooking especially during the Holiday season. So bear with me and join me as I enjoy my cookies. If you make it, then you can also have a taste of my life’s simple cookie pleasure.
Today’s cookie is Shortbread Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies! Thick, creamy, buttery and loaded with toasted pecan and an assortment of chocolate chips and more chocolate in every bite. A super easy recipe, ready in 1 hour or less. The dough is great for freezing, so you have more time to relax and entertain. When a gathering calls for a cookie, grab it from the freezer and bake. They are as good as the day you made it. Freshly baked shortbread cookie anytime of the day.
The Unique Ingredient
This cookie is extra creamy and maybe unlike any other shortbread cookie that you have tried. That’s because I have a secret ingredient that I added in this shortbread, and that I will reveal in a while. This cookie is less sweet as compared to other cookies, but it has the same buttery taste that is a trademark of shortbread, because shortbread is all about butter and more butter. It cannot get any buttery than this, and we all know that the more butter the better it taste. But there’s more than just butter in this cookie, there is also cream cheese! Yes, you can call this Cream Cheese Shortbread Cookie if you want, which I sometimes do. The addition of cream cheese gave the cookie the creamy texture, a melt in your mouth kind of cookie.
A Shortbread Cookie Variation Worth Trying
Shortbread is basically butter, sugar, salt and flour. Done! That’s it! That’s the basic ingredient of shortbread however size or shape you make it, but this cookie has more than just that. So what’s more in this cookie? Let’s check
First, it has bits and pieces of toasted crunchy pecans. I have to say that pecans gave this cookie a really good texture and crunch while still having the creamy smooth classic taste of shortbread.
Second, should I even mention the chocolate chips and chunks I’ve added? I was hesitant at first because I was thinking of maintaining the classic shortbread cookie, but then I decided to give it a go. I couldn’t be happier with my decision, as always, chocolate chips made this cookie taste 101% better. The dark chocolate taste perfectly complements the creamy and buttery taste of the cookie, although I didn’t have the doubt about that. I also added some salted caramel chocolate chips which gave a hint of saltiness in the cookie. I got so obsessed with the salted caramel chocolate chips that I cannot resist adding it when making cookies. I have always loved the combination of chocolate and shortbread just like Shortbread Cookie with Chocolate Ganache. You can never go wrong with adding chocolate chips, for me that’s a proven fact when it comes to my sweet treats.
Third reason, the secret ingredient that made this cookie extra smooth and creamy. That ingredient is the cream cheese! Don’t worry, I did not add a block of cream cheese in this cookie, just 3 ttablespoon but it goes a long way in making this cookie taste absolutely amazing! It gave the cookie a softer creamier texture, I just love it! You can totally omit it, but then you will miss the chance of tasting the BEST ever Shortbread Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookie, why risk that? What you can do is make the remaining portion to make Blueberry Cheese Cake, my recipe is small batch and that would be perfect to use the remaining portion. So, just a suggestion, don’t skip the cream cheese, because what made this cookie the best shortbread is the combination of toasted Pecan + Chocolate Chip + Cream Cheese. The combination of these three is a match made in heaven.
Last but not the least, and could be the most important factor why you should make this cookie, it is super easy! A cookie that taste this great can actually be done in less than 1 hour. All the ingredients are basic, the steps are so simple, and the batter do not require chilling. So you get to bake it immediately, no wait needed. No wait also means you get to enjoy it sooner than later. How wonderful is that?
Have I given you enough reason already? Holiday baking is not the same without making this Shortbread Pecan Cookie, it is a must, just like Chocolate Chip Cookie is also a must. Have you made those yet? They’re really the BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies ever! No kidding. If I count my MUST have cookies for the holidays I’ll probably have a dozen or more, that’s how crazy I am when it comes to cookies. This is really simple and easy, so let me show you how to do it. Let’s get started!
Tips in Making This Cookie:
- Room Temperature Butter and Cream Cheese, softened but not melting. Since the cutter will be creamed with the sugar and cream cheese, it needs to be soft. Leave at the counter at least 30 minutes before using it. Of course the length of time could vary in the temperature of your kitchen. During summer, it takes less time to soften the butter when left on the counter.
- Do not over bake. Unlike other cookie that dry out easily when over baked few minutes, this is not the case for this cookie. This is a thick and creamy cookie, but with the addition of cream cheese, the cookie will brown easily. At 9 minutes, you can see some of the uneven edges are already slightly brown. When left too long, it could get dark easily. So watch out for the changing of the color. You want the edges slightly brown, but the center still pale and soft. The extra heat will continue baking the cookie.
- Let Cool completely before digging in. In fact, it taste even better the longer you let it rest. As it cools, the texture become more stable. It gets even better when refrigerated.
- Do not skip the chocolate chunk on top, they really adds richness and chocolate flavor.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted Butter – room temperature
- 3 tablespoon Cream Cheese – at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 teaspoon fine sea Salt
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup toasted Pecans – chopped
- 1/4 cup Chocolate Chips ( any of these or a combination of these will work: semi sweet/dark/ white/caramel)
- chocolate chunks for toppings
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Toast Pecans: On a baking sheet, toast pecans about 5 minutes, or until fragrant. Let cool, then chop to smaller pieces but not too fine to give the cookie crunch.
- Cream Butter, Sugar and Cream Cheese: With an electric mixer, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light, about 1 minute.
- Add Dry Ingredients: Add in salt, vanilla, flour and baking powder scraping down sides of bowl, just until dough comes together.
- Add Pecans and Chocolate Chips: Manually fold in pecans and chocolate chips.
- Portion the Dough: Divide dough into 6 – 8 pieces; Shape into a ball if you want a smooth surface or use ice cream scooper to portion the dough. You can use a small shot glass to flatten it into a disk, you can also use your fingers to press and flatten it. This cookie do not spread as much so it is important to flatten it a bit. Top each piece with chocolate chunks (optional).
- Arrange in Baking Sheet: Place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet topped with parchment paper or on a silicone mat.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until sides are slightly brown but center still soft, rotating halfway for even baking.
- Cool cookies on a wire tack.
Makes 6 – 8 cookies
Holiday Baking Inspiration Videos:
Checkout my video collection of cookies and other treats that are great for holiday gift giving or for everyday baking. All the recipes can be found in my website. Enjoy!
My Latest Video
- How To Freeze Cookies (Bake and Unbaked)
- How To Store Cookie Properly So They Last Longer
- Holiday Cookie Platter, The More The Merrier 🙂
- Classic Shortbread Cookie
- Chocolate Crinkles
- Lemon Ricotta Cookie
- Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookie
- Pistachio and Almond Cranberry
- Baked Mini Churro
- Matcha Glazed Shortbread Cookie
- Strawberry White Chocolate Shortbread Cookie
- Pinwheel Cookie Tutorial
- No Bake Fruits and Nuts Chocolate Bar
- Pistachio and Cranberry Bark Chocolate
- M & M Cookie
- Shortbread Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookie
- No Bake Rocky Road Chocolate Bar
- Peanut Butter Blossom Cookie
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA