This crispy crunchy Avocado Fries is bake NOT fried. Guaranteed you will get the crunchy breading without worrying about the grease you normally get from deep fried version. Perfect for appetizer or snacking, but there’s more to it than that. You can use it to make the famous Avocado toast, use for salad toppings, make it into Avocado Tacos or is it as a filling for quesadilla. Whichever of these you choose, you will not regret any of it. So if you cannot make up your mind which one to try, try them all and enjoy!
I had been meaning to make this Avocado “Fries” for a long time now. I am glad that finally I am able to share this recipe with you. Some people may argue it is not a fries, and I wouldn’t disagree with that. It is called “Fries”, but really it is not a fries. It’s more like a healthier option for regular deep fried French fries, and hence it was called as Avocado Fries. Instead of Potato, Avocado is used. Instead of frying it, it was baked, but you can also fry it if that is your preference.
I wouldn’t say this is 100% fat free, so if you are asking is this really healthy? Oh well, depends on how you define what healthy is. Avocado is definitely not fat free, in fact, it is very high in fat. But we are taking about good fats here. But as always, however healthier option the food js, it is always best to consume it with moderation. I guess what makes it a healthier option to fries is the fact the Avocado have plenty of good fats, and that this version is not deep fried but Instead baked. Whether it is healthier or not, I leave that up to you to decide. One thing I can tell you for sure, it taste damn good!! I wished I made this sooner than later.
How to Make Avocado Fries
This is a very simple process. The entire process is doable in 45 minutes, it’s that fast.
Start by preparing you dipping mixture. That is the flour, panko bread crumbs and beaten egg. Have them in a separate bowls. Then in a small bowl, mix all the seasoning and spices. Once all of these are ready, let’s cut the Avocado. Cut into half, remove the pit and divide into 8 wedges. Do not cut it too thin, 8 is a perfect portions. It gives a thick piece that will not get mushy when dipped and bake.
Remember the spice mix you prepared? Mix that and sprinkle on the Avocado, and on the flour, egg and bread crumbs.
Now we are ready to dip. Dip each piece one by one. Start with the flour, then to the egg and to the bread crumbs. Arrange it in a baking sheet with a wire rack on top. The wire rack is important because this will help the hot air circulate on top and bottom of the Avocado, making a crispier coating. Spray the Avocado with oil and sprinkle paprika, dried parsley and powdered Parmesan cheese. The cheese will add in making the breading crispy, plus it’s cheese! Who wouldn’t want more cheese if they can have it. Clean-up the bottom of the pan and scrape any fallen cheese and spices. This could get burn easily if left.
That’s it. Bake it for 30 minutes, 15 minutes on each side. You can also fry it if that is your preference but I highly recommend you try the bake version. It is crunchy and crispy without being greasy.
I left 2 options below for the dressing, you can choose which one you like. The dressing or dip is recommended. It makes a huge difference eating this with a dip. Regardless what dip you like, just have a dip to go with it. You can make your own, or use a store bought dressing. I recommend creamy dressing, the likes of ranch, ceasar, sriracha mayonnaise, garlic dip etc. I used a cheese and ranch dip for this, i love both of t hem so far.
Tips in Making Avocado Fries
- Use ripe but still hard Avocado: You want an Avocado that can stand the heat without getting mushy.
- Use Panko Bread Crumbs: For a lighter and crunchier coating use only panko bread crumbs, or Japanese bread crumbs. Only use regular bread crumbs if that is the last resort
- Season generously: Avocado is bland to start with, so make sure to season the Avocado , flour, egg and bread crumbs. You can use different seasoning mix, just make sure to use some. Do not skip this.
Serving Avocado Fries
This Avocado Fries can be serve as is, with a side of dressing. I highly recommend that you serve this with a dressing for better taste experience. I like to eat this on its own, but there is more to that. You can also:
- Use this for salad
- Use this for making tortilla wrap
- Use this for making quesadilla wrap
- Use this for making Avocado Toast
- Use this for making taco
- Use this as sides for breakfast with cold cuts and eggs
- 1 large Avocado
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumb
- 1/3 teaspoon table Salt
- 1/3 teaspoon Paprika or Cayenne Pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/3 teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 2 tablespoon powdered Parmesan Cheese
Honey Garlic Dip
- 3 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha Sauce (more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F
- Mix the Spices: Mix all the spices in a small dish, set aside.
- Cut the Avocado in 8 wedges
- Prepare 3 deep bowls and transfer the flour in one bowl, panko bread crumbs in one bowl, and beaten egg in one bowl.
- Divide the mixed spices between 3 bowls and the sliced Avocado. Mix until the spices are distributed in the flour, egg and panko bread crumbs mixture.
- Dip the Avocado: Choose which hand you will use for the wet and dry ingredients. Use one hand to dip in dry ingredients and the other hand to dip in the wet ingredients. Now, start by dipping the Avocado in the flour making sure to cover the entire Avocado. Next move to the bowl with beaten egg and roll the Avocado. Again making sure the entire Avocado is coated. Shake of the excess egg and move to the 3rd bowl of panko bread crumb. Roll to coat.
- Transfer in a baking sheet with wire rack on top. The wire rack will allow the hot air to circulate making both the top and bottom of the Avocado crispy. Spray the Avocado with oil. Flip and do the same for the other side.
- Bake for 15 minutes, the remove from the oven and flip to expose the other side. Return to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Make your choice of dip by simply mixing all the ingredients together. As simple as that. You can also use salad dressing like ranch, ceasar or any creamy dressing should work for this.
- Baked Asparagus Fries
- Shrimp and Avocado Stack Salad
- Avocado Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Avocado Tuna Sandwich
- Avocado Overnight Oats
- Green Goddess Avocado Sandwich
- Avocado and Basil Pesto Spaghetti
- Avocado and Shrimp Salsa
- Avocado Chicken Salad
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA