This Egg, Ham & Cheese Quesadilla is one easy breakfast to make especially during busy weekdays when you think you do not have have to make and enjoy a sit down breakfast. Not only that it is very easy, it is very flexible too. You can different filling, you can even make it vegetarian, the choice is yours.
Since I make egg breakfast almost every week, I thought I’d share with you some of my easy breakfast idea. We can all use some easy recipe now and then, right? I’m calling this series Easy Egg-citing Recipes where I will share simple egg recipes that you can make in no time at all. This is the kind of recipe that I make during busy weekdays and even during the weekends. The main ingredients will be egg, plus more to make it filling and satisfying. This is the type of recipe that I guarantee you can make at home, no cooking skills needed. Just get cracking, and cook the egg!
Egg is probably one staple ingredient is use for breakfast, it is so versatile you can have it hard boiled, scrambled, over easy, fried, poach and baked. It is easy to prepare regardless of how you want it cool, plus it is affordable breakfast that most people love it, me included. So what’s in a egg? Let’s go check!
What’s In an Egg?
Yolk is the yellow portion of the egg and this is full of nutrients, vitamins and fats. Those who are watching their diet normally avoid the egg yolk because of the fat content. Then we have the White which is packed with protein and water, the healthy part of the egg. Have you noticed, there is a white strand floating somewhere in the mix? I thought before this is part of the egg white, but it seems this is actually part of what makes up the egg. This is called the chalazae. It anchors the yolk to the white and to the inside of the shell, keeping the yolk suspended.
How to Store Egg
- Always keep eggs in the carton. the carton protects the eggs and prevents them from absorbing strong odors and flavors of other foods in your fridge through the thousands of tiny pores in the egg shell. Secondly, the Best Before Date is always visible to you so you can guarantee freshness. Lastly, eggs should always be stored with the large end up, the same way they are packaged in the carton. This helps the yolk remain centered.
- Eggs should not be stored on the refrigerator door, but in the main body of the refrigerator to ensure that they keep a consistent and cool temperature.
- Leftover raw egg whites and yolks should be put in airtight containers and stored in the refrigerator immediately. To prevent yolks from drying out, cover them with a little cold water. Drain the water before using.
- When storing hard boiled eggs, you may notice a “gassy” odor in your refrigerator. The odor is caused by hydrogen sulphide, which forms when eggs are cooked. It’s harmless and usually dissipates in a few hours.
What are the Ingredients for Breakfast Egg Quesadilla?
- Egg – I used 2 eggs for one serving which could be shared between 2 people (or not shared). 1 egg will be too thin, so stick to minimum of 2 per serving
- Tortilla – You can use any kind of tortilla that you like. Plain, whole wheat or spinach tortilla will work just fine.
- Cheese – I used a combination of cheddar and mozzarella cheese. For best result, I would recommend use at least 1 melting cheese and then combine another type of cheese
- Cold Cuts – I used chicken ham for this recipe, you can use regular ham or turkey slices.
- Oil – Use small amount of oil to grease the pan. I use oil spray for this. Do not add too much oil as they will make the egg too greasy
- Salt & Peppers – This is the minimum season and spices to enhance the taste of the dish
- Dried or Fresh Herbs – totally optional but if you have any, use it as it adds nice extra flavor. I used my favorite Italian Seasoning and Parsley. Fresh chives is a great option too.
How to Make Breakfast Egg Quesadilla
This is just like making an omelette so you can have this done in no time. Spray the pan with oil or grease the pan with any flavorless oil. You can also use butter if you want a more flavorful egg. Beat the eggs and season with salt, peppers and spices. Pour into the heated pan. Wait for the egg to slightly set on top then sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese. You can add more if you want too. Lay the tortilla on top an press to make it stick to the egg. The cheese will also help glue the egg and tortilla together. Once the side starts to set, carefully lift and if it lifts easily and the egg has browned already, you are ready to flip. This could take about 1 -2 minutes depending on the heat of the stove. Flip the egg, then arrange the ham on top, plus the remaining cheese. You can have the ham chopped or whole. Wait for another minute, once the tortilla had browned, fold the tortilla into half. Remove from the heat and transfer in a cutting board. Slice into 4 and transfer in a serving plate. That’s about it! Easy, right?
Tips in Making Egg Quesadilla
- Use a tortilla size that it’s almost close to the size of the pan you are using. For best thickness, I used xx-inch pan. Anything bigger than this will make the egg too thin. If you want use a larger pan, add more eggs and use the big tortilla. I used a medium size tortilla for this recipe.
- Make sure the tortilla is soft and pliable. If you are using a tortilla that has been stored in the refrigerator soften the tortilla before using it. To do this, lay the tortilla on a plate, cover with damp towel and microwave for about 20 seconds. The tortilla should be soft and easy to fold without cracking.
- Make sure to lay the tortilla while the top of the egg is till wet. This will help the tortilla to stick to the egg, and do not forget the cheese as this will also help glue the egg and tortilla together.
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese – grated
- 5 pieces Cold Cuts – whole or diced/sliced
- Pinch of Salt and Peppers
- 1/8 teaspoon Italian Seasoning (optional)
- pinch of Parsley (optional)
- Pinch of Paprika (optional)
- Oil to grease the pan
- Beat the Eggs: In a bowl, beat the eggs then add salt, black pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Grease the pan and bring to low- medium heat. Pour the beaten egg and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add cheese & tortilla: Once the top starts to slightly cook, sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese and lay the tortilla on top. Keep cooking for another minute or until the edge is set and it no longer stick when you lift it.
- Lift the egg to flip. Arrange the ham on top and sprinkle paprika and the remaining cheese. Cover and cook until the cheese starts to melt
- Fold into half and transfer in a cutting board
- Cut into 4 pieces and transfer into a serving plate.
- Serve with sour cream or salsa on the side.
My Latest Video
- Turkish Egg (Cibir)
- [VIDEO] Double French Toast Sandwich Omelette
- [VIDEO] Spinach and Mushroom Breakfast Burrito
- [VIDEO] am and Cheese Quesadilla
- [VIDEO] Baked Avocado Fries
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA