This Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash is high in fiber, very filling, and delicious. Cooked in one pan, and can be serve straight from the pan. You can even eat it straight from the pan but if you don’t mind sharing, grab a plate or two and share.
Some Facts About Sweet Potato
- Sweet Potato is not the same as Yam.
- Sweet Potato is high in glycemic index (GI), which makes unsuitable for people with type 2 diabetes.
- Sweet potatoes are mainly composed of carbs. Most of the carbs come from starch, followed by fiber. This root vegetable is also relatively low in protein, but high in fiber.
- Depending on the variety, sweet potato flesh can vary from white to orange and even purple.
- February is National Sweet Potato Month
- North Carolina’s official vegetable is the sweet potato
- Sweet potatoes are high in beta carotene, vitamins E and C, iron, potassium and vitamin B6.
The nutrition facts for 3.5 ounces (100 grams) of raw sweet potatoes are
- Calories: 86
- Water: 77%
- Protein: 1.6 grams
- Carbs: 20.1 grams
- Sugar: 4.2 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Fat: 0.1 grams
How to Store Sweet Potato
Did you know that storing sweet potatoes in the refrigerator will produce a hard center and unpleasant taste? So instead of storing it in the refrigerator, store your sweet potatoes in a cool, dry, well-ventilated container. Sweet potatoes can be stored for up to two weeks.
What are the Ingredients for Sweet Potato Hash
- Sweet Potato – cut into cubes, do not cut too small to avoid getting mushy during cooking
- Spices – Salt, peppers, cumin, dried parsley, paprika, turmeric, Italian seasoning – this can be substituted with other seasoning. Cajun seasoning, taco seasoning or other herbs and spices
- Bell Peppers – I like using different colors for a more vibrant dish, but a single color bell pepper is just as fine
- Egg – I like mine either cracked on top or cook separately. Either way it works.
- Avocado – totally optional, but it makes the dish even more filling
How to Make Sweet Potato Hash
First thing first. Make sure to have the complete ingredients for easy prep of this dish. It makes a lot faster when you have all ingredients ready to grab. Start heating the pan in low heat while you work on the Sweet Potato. Peel, wash and dice the Sweet Potato. Keep the size of the diced tomato not too small, unless you like it mashed the keep the pieces medium size. Smaller cut will get mushy easily. Add oil, garlic, sweet potato, salt, pepper and cumin. Mix the cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the cover and add the bell peppers. Cook for another 1 minute. We’re adding the bell pepper last because this cook fast, but if you like it softer you can add it along with the sweet potato. Make sure to try eating the sweet potato to check if it is already cook, this way you can cook longer if needed. Bigger chunks cooks longer, smaller chunks cooks faster. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
you have an option to crack the egg on top of the hash sweet potato. Make a well or cavity then crack the egg on the cavity. Sprinkle some salt and pepper then cover and cook until the egg is cook to your liking. Another option is to cook the egg separately and just top it before serving. You can make poach egg, hard or soft boiled egg, sunny side up or fried egg.
This is a good make-ahead breakfast. Make it without the egg at night and store it in the refrigerator. In the morning, cook the egg separately and top before serving. You can also crack the egg on top, cover and cook until the egg is to your liking.
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Large Sweet Potato – diced
- 1/4 cup Onion – chopped
- 1/2 medium size Green Bell Pepper – diced
- 1/2 medium size Red or Yellow Bell Pepper – diced
- 1 Small Jalapeño Pepper – diced and seed removed
- 1/2 cup Corn Kernels
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Parsley
- 1 clove Garlic – minced
- 2 Eggs – cook to your preference
- Mix the Spices: In a small bowl, mix salt, black pepper, cumin, turmeric, paprika, Italian seasoning and dried parsley.
- Season the Sweet Potato: Sprinkle half of the spices to the diced sweet potato.
- Cook the Sweet Potato: In a heated pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil and saute the onion for 1 minute. Add the sweet potato, bell peppers, jalapeno pepper, sweet corn and remaining spice mix. Cover an cook for 7 minutes or until the vegetables are cook to your preference. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Crack egg on top, cover and cook for another 5 minutes or until the egg is cook to your liking.
- Alternatively, you can also cook the egg separately. Fried egg or poach egg is a good option.
My Latest Video
Click the item to get the full recipe
- Quinoa and Mushroom Egg Breakfast Bowl
- Sweet Potato and Egg Breakfast Boat
- Sweet Potato and Toasted Quinoa Bowl
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Mashed Sweet Potato Oatmeal
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
Follow SweetNSpicyLiving on Social Media