This Gluten Free Black Forest Cake taste as good as it looks. The cake is soft and moist, the center is filled with Homemade Cherry Sauce and the entire cake is crumb coated with Homemade Whipped Cream, plus some fresh Cherry on top. I should also point out that this is liqueur free, not sure if that is a bad or good thing for you. If you want to add some liquor, you can add some when making the Cherry Compote by simply replacing portion of the water with liquor. You can add more or less depending on how strong you like it.
Not So Traditional Black Forest Cake
On Mondays, I usually lost vegetarian dish but today I am breaking that rule, just for today because I want to share with you my amazing birthday cake … Black Forest Cake. Today happens to be my birthday so here’s a cake for all of us. Sorry you cannot try it but you can make it at home. That way we can share this cake wherever you are. This Black Forest Cake is non-traditional version. Traditional Black Forest Cake have liquor in it, this one doesn’t. But hey, this taste amazing even without liquor, that’s not just me saying it, those are also words from my friends who have tried this. This cake is a simple version, just an easy chocolate cake, gluten free (in case you care). Apart from that, I think this looks like a Black Forest Cake, right? And if you don’t care about liquor in it, this cake is as good a a true Black Forrest Cake.
How Do You Make Homemade Whipped Cream?
Guys, there is no need to buy whipped cream here. Make your own! It is so easy, watch the video and see how easy it is. I like using whipped cream rather but buttercream frosting because it is lighter and less sweet, plus Black Forest Cake always use whipped cream anyways. But if you want to use different frosting, go for it. I am actually thinking my Espresso Whipped Cream will be nice here. A new twist to my not so traditional Black Forest Cake.
Decorating the Cake:
There are so many ways that you can decorate this cake, be creative and have fun. There is no right or wrong here, add what toppings you like and customize it to your preference.
- Frosting: I opted to use a light frosting so I used simple Homemade Whipped Cream. I like that is not too sweet and it works so well with this soft fluffy chocolate cake. You can use Vanilla Buttercream Frosting if you prefer a sweeter frosting.
- Filling – Since I did not used liquor for this cake, I used Homemade Cherry Compote/Sauce instead to give the cake nice moisture and flavor. You can use fresh Cherry that has been soaked in liquor and spoon the liquor on the middle of the cake before sandwiching it together. You can also use bottled preserved Cherry if you do not have fresh Cherry to use. You can also use frozen Cherry to make the Cherry Sauce.
- Shaved Chocolate – I like adding shaved chocolate to make it more like Black Forrest, but you do not have to. Make sure to shave and then scattered the chocolate in a parchment line baking sheet. Freeze until completely solid. This is slowdown the melting when you touch it to sprinkle on the cake. I used a cheese grater to do this, you can also use a vegetable peeler if you want to make a ribbon like chocolate design.
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 1/4 cup Gluten Free Brown Rice Flour
- 1/4 cup Almond Flour
- 5 tbsp unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 large Egg – room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup neutral Oil (like canola)
- 1/3 cup full-fat Sour Cream or plain Greek Yogurt – room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon Coffee Powder – optional
Decorate as you wish. This is what I used for this cake.
- 2 – 3 cups Whipped Cream Frosting
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup Cherry Sauce
- 8 pieces Fresh Cherry (or more as you wish)
- 1/4 cup Shaved Chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Prepare the Pan: Line 2 6-inch round cake pan with parchment paper on the bottom, and lightly grease the sides with oil.
- Dry Ingredients: Next, in a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, instant powdered coffee, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Wet Ingredients: In a small bowl, cream the egg and and sugar until pale in color, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla extract, oil and yogurt or sour cream. Mix until combined.
- Wet Ingredients + Dry Ingredients: Add dry ingredients mixing just until combined. Divide the batter into the 2 cake pans lines with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 – 23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. If you under-bake the cake, it will slightly sink, so check it! It will also start to pull away from the sides when it’s done.
- You can also bake this is one 6-inch pan but you will need to adjust the baking time, about 40 – 45 minutes
- Cool: Set aside to cool completely before adding any frosting. Remove the cake from the pan and remove the parchment paper.
- Make the Homemade Whipped Cream Frosting. Get the Full Recipe HERE
- Decorate: Using a serrated knife, level the top of each of the cakes. On one portion of the cake, spread Cherry Compote on top. Cover with the other half of the cake, slightly press down the cake so that it sticks to the filling in the middles. Spread frosting on the cake (side and top). Transfer the whipped cream in a piping bag with decorating tip ( I used Wilton 1 M). Wash your hands with ice cold water then wipe it dry. This will prevent the grated chocolate from easily melting when you pick it up. Sprinkle grated or shredded chocolate all over the cake. Decorate the top with more whipped cream and top it with fresh or bottled cherry.
- Alternatively, If you baked the cake in one pan, slice the cake diagonally in half OR
- You can make the cake without any filling and add all the Cherry Sauce on top instead
These are just some of my favorite cake recipes, I have more HERE.
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- Almond Ricotta Chocolate Cake
- Small Batch Angel Food Cake
- Mango Coconut Cake
- Banana Chiffon Cake
- Magic Custard Cake
- Sponge Cake
- Red Velvet Swiss Roll Cake
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Swiss Roll Cake
- Blueberry Cheese Cake
- Chocolate Cake
My Other Videos:
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.