Simplify your Holiday meal planning by adding this Salmon and Brie Cheese Puff Pastry Bites. A 4 ingredients puff pastry recipe (excluding spices) made easier by using store-bough puff pastry dough. A baked puff pastry, topped with soft Brie cheese, fresh Basil, Smoked Salmon and variety of herbs and spices. A simple dish that cab be served as appetizer or for breakfast or brunch. A great way to serve delicious dish with less time in the kitchen.
Puff pastry is the hero in my kitchen, Holiday or not. You can make your own puff pastry at home, but if you want to keep the Holiday meals quick and easy, then go for ready to use puff-pastry. You can find them in freezer section of grocery stores, stock them up in your freezer (more is better especially during the Holiday) and thank me later.
Puff pastry is my go to pastry whenever I am looking for something easy to prepare. I love how this simple pastry dough can be turned into something fancy looking and delicious. Whether you are thinking of something or savory, I can guarantee you there is something that you can make from this pastry dough. I used this quite often, but even more during Summer and Holiday season. Summer are the time for sweet in season fruits while Holiday is great for easy delicious appetizers or main course. I am pretty sure I am not the only one indulging on sweet treats lately, so I thought let’s do something savory for a change and set aside our cookies and cakes for awhile. A savory recipe is a good change to balance the sweetness in our like.
What are the Ingredients for Puff Pastry Stuffed Mushroom and Brie Cheese?
This recipe calls for only 4 major ingredients (excluding spices): Puff Pastry, brie cheese, basil and salmon.
- Puff Pastry – For easy preparation, I recommend using store-bought puff pastry. If you can find the rolled puff pastry, that is the best option. The only thing you need to do is to unroll and cut it. Some puff pastry comes in thick square which still needs to be flattened.
- Smoked Salmon – Any smoked Salmon will work.
- Brie Cheese – I would say about 150g or a bit less but nothing more than that
- 9 pieces Fresh Basil – although this already uses dried Basil, adding fresh Basil before serving adds a huge difference in adding freshness. I strongly recommend get a bunch just for this recipe. Use as much as you like as long as it can be covered by Salmon so it doesn’t fall out
- Black Pepper, Dried Basil, Parsley, Paprika, Garlic Powder, fresh Chives – These are the herbs and spices that I used but do not be restricted with these. You can also use Oregano, Italian Seasoning, Thyme, Rosemary, Cayenne Pepper, Chile flakes etc
Can This Be Made Ahead of Time?
I would say No, do it the same day or better yet few hrs before serving it. Puff pastry are best served the same day they are made. This is a very quick recipe to make, less than 1 hr you have it ready to enjoy. It is not worth making it ahead of time because the most that you can do it just to cut the puff pastry into square, create the border and pinch it. Then return it to the freezer making sure each piece is topped with parchment paper to avoid sticking. I feel that you will end up with more work rather than just making it the same day. Trust me when I say, this is super easy to make. Watch the video to see how I mad it
What Type of Puff Pasty to Buy
There’s no shame in using a readily available puff pastry, you got to do what you got to do, so go grab them. Depending on where you are located, you might find different type of puff pastry. Grab the one that requires less work to use.
- There’s one that are cut into 2 thick square. This type of puff pastry will require you to roll and flatten it into about 1/8 inch thickness. It’s not difficult to do that, but that still adds time when you are in a hurry. Also, you have to target of at least having an even surface. I box contains 2 cut puff pastry.
- Then there’s my favorite type, the flat puff. They normally comes in 2 pieces per box, and all you have to do is thaw it a little bit in the fridge , unroll and cut them to size and shape you like. The thickness is even, so it’s you are assured that they will bake at the same time. The little time you save will make a huge difference when your tight on schedule. That will give you some time to clean up and relax before the party starts.
So those are you’re 2 options, if you are not considering on making your own puff pastry. You can choose which one is available in your grocery. But definitely go for the 2nd one if they have it.
Heads-Up, Expect the Brie Cheese to Melt and Spread on the Pan
I have to give you a heads-up about this so you do not get surprised by a puddle of melted cheese on the pan. Brie cheese is a very soft easy to melt cheese. This is why quite often, Brie cheese are either baked wrapped in puff pastry, or baked in a shell tart of muffin tin. The covering and the shell helps contain the melted cheese inside. Since the Brie cheese in this recipe was placed on top and bake until the end, the Brie will eventually melt and spread in the pan. You have 3 options on how to go about this:
- The first option is what I did in this recipe, bake the puff pastry with the brie cheese on top. After 20 minutes, remove from the oven and scoop out the melted cheese and put it back on top of the puff pastry. This worked just fine. When you watch thee video, you will noticed after baking there is no puddle of melted cheese, that was because I scooped them out and put them back on the puff pastry
- The second option is to bake the puff pastry only, without the Brie cheese. At 20 minutes mark, remove from the oven and add the Brie cheese, herbs and spices on top. Then return to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese starts to soften and melt but not totally melting. This prevents the puddle of melted cheese on pan –> I recommend this option for less mess to clean-up
- The 3rd option is to bake the puff pastry only for full 25 minutes. remove from the oven and add slice Brie cheese, herbs and spices and Salmon
- 1 pack Puff Pastry (1 roll)
- Smoked Salmon
- 160g Brie Cheese
- 9 pieces Fresh Basil
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1/4 teaspoon Parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped Chives (optional for garnishing)
- 1 Egg (egg wash: egg + 1 teaspoon water)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Divide into 9 squares: Roll out 1 sheet of Puff Pastry. Cut 9 squares. Divide first into 3 then cut into another 3. You should end up with 9 squares.
- Assemble: Arrange in a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Draw a border around each piece. Use a fork to pinch the top with holes. Brush the corners of the square with egg wash.
- Top with Brie Cheese: Arrange the sliced Brie cheese on top. Sprinkle with dried basil, Black pepper, dried parsley, paprika and garlic powder.
- Bake: Bake in a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes or until puff-up. Remove from the oven at 20 minutes time. You will see a puddle of melted cheese on the tray. Scoop them up and put on top of the puff pastry. Return in the oven and cook another 5 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can do the second option I mentioned above. Bake the puff pastry for 20 minutes without the Brie cheese. remove from the oven, add the sliced Brie and sprinkle the herbs and spices. Return to the above and bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese is soft but not melting.
- Remove from Oven: Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Arrange the sliced smoked Salmon on top and sprinkle with chopped fresh chives
Important Note: It is advisable to bake this when close to serving it to better enjoy it.
Makes 9 pieces
Other Appetizer Ideas:
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Cheese Hand Pie
- Puff Pastry Jalapeño and Cheese Bites
- BBQ Pulled Chicken Puff Pastry Bites, Easy Holiday Appetizer
- Baked Garlic Parmesan Puffs
- Make-Ahead Appetizer: Mini Pigs in a Blanket
- Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry Melt
- Mini Chocolate Puff Pastry Croissant
- Pigs in a Blanket
- Roasted Veggie Tortilla Pinwheel
- Spinach and Cheese Puff
- Margherita Puff Pastry Bites
- Everything But Bagel Pigs in a Blanket
If you have time and you feel like making your own Puff Pastry from scratch, watch my blitz puff pastry video and see how easy it is. Homemade Puff Pastry are not only simple and easy to make, it doesn’t get soggy as fast as store-bought one.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA