This Mushroom & Brie Stuffed Puff Pastry is one easy and simple dish to make, but do not under estimate these little ones. As simple as they are, they make a great addition to your Holiday or every day meal. make it as part of your entree served with soup and salad, or make it as appetizers to get a good start of the party. The best thing about this recipe, you can make this ahead of time, I am talking about weeks or even month ahead and keep it in your freezer.
When you are ready to use it, pre-heat your oven and bake. So easy and yet so elegant, a meat free dish guaranteed to satisfy you and your guest. You will not miss the meat at all. A vegetarian dish fit for the Holiday or any day of the year.
Puff pastry is the hero in my kitchen, Holiday or not. You can make your own puff pastry at home, but if you want to keep the Holiday meals quick and easy, then go for ready to use puff-pastry. You can find them in freezer section of grocery stores, stock them up in your freezer (more is better especially during the Holiday) and thank me later.
Puff pastry is my go to pastry whenever I am looking for something easy to prepare. I love how this simple pastry dough can be turned into something fancy looking and delicious. Whether you are thinking of something or savory, I can guarantee you there is something that you can make from this pastry dough. I used this quite often, but even more during Summer and Holiday season. Summer are the time for sweet in season fruits while Holiday is great for easy delicious appetizers or main course. I am pretty sure I am not the only one indulging on sweet treats lately, so I thought let’s do something savory for a change and set aside our cookies and cakes for awhile. A savory recipe is a good change to balance the sweetness in our like.
What I love about this Mushroom and Brie Stuffed Pastry
If you are looking for reason why you should add this on your menu, let me just mention why
- Quick and Easy – Is that not something we all need especially during busy days? Whether it is Holiday season or not, if you are looking for an easy entree or appetizer, this will got you covered
- Simple Ingredients – All the ingredients for this recipe as easy to find, you do not need to google where to find the or how to find them. You can find them in most grocery stores
- Great Make Ahead – Now this alone is a great reason to make this. Imagine being able to make this a week or a month in advance and having it ready for baking when you need it. That saves a lot of time which gives you more time to do other things that day you are serving this.
- Taste Great – We are not compromising taste for ease and comfort. This taste as great as it looks, trust me. Serve it right after baking and experience the flaky puff pastry and melting brie cheese in your mouth. Oh so good
What are the Ingredients for Mushroom and Brie Stuffed Puff Pastry?
- Puff Pastry – Use the store-bought one for a faster and easier process
- Mushroom – use fresh mushroom, white or brown works well. Do NOT use canned mushroom as they lack flavor and texture of a fresh mushroom
- Brie Cheese – Brie cheese are great for stuffing and baking. It is a soft cheese that melts nicely and works well with mushroom
- Black Pepper,Salt, red Chile Flakes, Rosemary and Sugar – This is not set on the stone, you can swap this with other herbs and spice that you like. If you are wondering why there is sugar here, sugar balances the taste and help caramelized the mushroom and onion
Can This Be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes, Yes, Yes! This is one reason why I love this recipe. You can make this a week or even a month in advance. Keep it in a ziplock bag and freeze. When ready to use, bake straight from the freezer, no need to thaw. I made 8 quite large pieces which for me is a lot to bake on time. The most that I bake one time is 4 pieces, but I usually just bake 2 pieces most of the time as I served with with soup and salad and not just on its own. In the video, I showed how I packed and freeze this for future baking. Check it out.
What Type of Puff Pasty to Buy
There’s no shame in using a readily available puff pastry, you got to do what you got to do, so go grab them. Depending on where you are located, you might find different type of puff pastry. Grab the one that requires less work to use.
- There’s one that are cut into 2 thick square. This type of puff pastry will require you to roll and flatten it into about 1/8 inch thickness. It’s not difficult to do that, but that still adds time when you are in a hurry. Also, you have to target of at least having an even surface. I box contains 2 cut puff pastry.
- Then there’s my favorite type, the flat puff. They normally comes in 2 pieces per box, and all you have to do is thaw it a little bit in the fridge , unroll and cut them to size and shape you like. The thickness is even, so it’s you are assured that they will bake at the same time. The little time you save will make a huge difference when your tight on schedule. That will give you some time to clean up and relax before the party starts.
So those are you’re 2 options, if you are not considering on making your own puff pastry. You can choose which one is available in your grocery. But definitely go for the 2nd one if they have it.
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup chopped Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic – minced
- 160g Fresh brown or white Mushroom – thinly sliced
- 1/3 teaspoon table Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chile Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Granulated White Sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh Spinach – chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh Rosemary – chopped
- 1 Roll Puff Pastry
- Brie Cheese
- 1 Egg + 1 teaspoon water – for egg wash
- Make the Sauteed Mushroom and Spinach Filling: In a heated pan, add olive oil and chopped onion. Cook until the onion is translucent. Add sliced mushroom, minced garlic, salt, black pepper, red chile flakes, sugar and rosemary. Continue cooking until the water from the mushroom has evaporated. You want the mixture to be as reduced as possible. Turn off the heat and add chopped Spinach. Mix until the Spinach is wilted. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Set aside to completely cool before using. This can be made 1-3 days in advance. Keep in a covered container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Stuff the Puff Pastry: Unroll 1 puff pastry sheet. The number of pieces that you can make depends on the size of your puff pastry. The one I used was quite large than the usual, so I was able to make 8 pieces. You can make small or big piece depending on your preference. The idea is to wrap the sauteed mushroom and spinach and brie cheese with puff pastry. Wrap it however it works for you, whatever is easier for you. For the size that I used, I cut the puff pastry into 16 squares. Spoon sauteed mushroom on top and add 1 slice of brie cheese. Fold the puff pastry over as much as you can to cover the top. Use another square of puff pastry to cover the exposed portion. Pinch the sides to seal. Do this for the rest until you have used up all the filling.
- Chill: Arrange the stuffed puff pastry in a tray that fits your freezer. Freeze the puff pastry at least 30 minutes.
- If you do not want to bake all, simply store the remaining pieces in a ziplock and leave it in the freezer. This could last 1-2 months in the freezer. No need to thaw when ready to bake. I only baked 4 pieces the most at a time because they are quite big, but most of the time I bake 2 pieces only as I serve this with other items
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Bake: Remove the puff pastry from the freezer. Using a sharp knife, run a line on top just to create a design, totally optional and just for presentation purposes. Brush the top with egg wash (1 egg + 1 tsp water). Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until the puff pastry has puff up and golden brown.
- Serve: Serve immediately. This is best served the same day it is made, better yet few hrs after baking. Serve with salad, soup and some veggie and fruits on the side.
Makes 8 pieces
Other Appetizer Ideas:
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Cheese Hand Pie
- Puff Pastry Jalapeño and Cheese Bites
- BBQ Pulled Chicken Puff Pastry Bites, Easy Holiday Appetizer
- Baked Garlic Parmesan Puffs
- Make-Ahead Appetizer: Mini Pigs in a Blanket
- Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry Melt
- Mini Chocolate Puff Pastry Croissant
- Pigs in a Blanket
- Roasted Veggie Tortilla Pinwheel
- Spinach and Cheese Puff
- Margherita Puff Pastry Bites
If you have time and you feel like making your own Puff Pastry from scratch, watch this video and see how easy it is. Homemade Puff Pastry are not only simple and easy to make, it doesn’t get soggy as fast as store-bought one.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter | YouTube
Categories: Appetizer, Baking, Puff Pastry, Recipe, Savoury, Small Batch Recipes, Video, Video Recipes
Leave a Reply