Ultimately soft and moist Gluten Free Chocolate Cake frosted with a silky smooth decadent chocolate frosting. This is hands down a chocolate lovers dream inside and out.
I had been everything chocolate lately to the point it’s disrupting my focus on anything. So I thought it’s time for me to whipped up my own homemade chocolate cake, gluten free style. I don’t have any problem with gluten but recently I found myself fascinated with gluten free and vegan baking. I find gluten free baking easier than vegan so I decided to go for gluten free chocolate cake. This cake is for everybody whether you are on a gluten free diet or not. If you don’t care about gluten free, simply use a regular flour, that simple.
Chocolate is probably one of the most common and popular cake. Almost everybody who’s into baking have their own version of a chocolate cake. Soft, moist, fluffy, decadent is probably the characteristics that people looked for in a chocolate cake. Well, I’m really proud to say that this cake is all that. Let’s start with cake itself.
What are the Ingredients for Gluten Free Chocolate Cake?
- Gluten Free Flour Blend – you can buy this in baking section. It’s already been pre-mix with different kind of gluten free flour. Please take note that different kind of gluten free flour have different moisture level.
- Cocoa Powder – this is what will give a nice decadent chocolate flavor. Natural or proceeded will both work.
- Sugar – for sweetness. This cake is not too sweet and that’s intentional because we are adding a frosting on top
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda – as leavening agent.
- Salt – always add salt to balance the sweetness. A small amount goes a long way
- Egg – room temperature o easier mixing. Leave the egg on the counter at least 30 minutes before using it, or submerge it in a warm water for 5 minutes.
- Oil – oil keeps the cake moist for days
- Plain Greek Yogurt – well known for adding moisture and creaminess to the cake. This can be substituted with Sour Cream
- Pure Vanilla Extract – use only pure Vanilla Extract for better flavor
How To Make Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
This is such an easy recipe, in fact you don’t even need a stand or hand mixer to make this. I actually recommend mixing it manually to avoid incorporating too much air into the cake batter. When I first made this, I whisk the egg white. The end result was a soft cake, but it has a sunken middle. The second time I made it, I did not separate the egg white, instead creamed the egg and sugar. Again, the middle sunk even without opening the oven the entire baking time. So I thought I would try not using any mixer so as not to create too much air into the batter. At my third try, I was finally happy with the result. The cake was soft an moist, just like how I want it to be, success! Start by mixing flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder. Then manually whisk the egg and sugar, followed by vanilla extract, oil and sour cream. The consistency will be light, the color will be pale yellow. After this, simply add the dry ingredients mixture and fold until combined. Transfer in a baking pan and bake until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. The side will slightly pull away from the pan and the Center will look slightly soft.
How to Make Silky Smooth and Glossy Chocolate Frosting
This is the highlight of this cake. This frosting is absolutely decadent and delicious. This is a light pourable consistency Chocolate Ganache. To make this, I strongly suggest to use chopped chocolate instead of chocolate chips. Chopped chocolate melts better and produces a smooth light chocolate when melted. While chocolate chips will work too, it doesn’t melt as much as chopped chocolate. When chocolate chips melt, it has a thick consistency and you still have to add more butter or liquid to get it to a pourable consistency. Start by melting the chopped chocolate with butter. This is a small batch so I melted it using microwave. I you are making a large batch, you can transfer the chopped chocolate and butter in a heat proof bowl and put it on top I a pan with simmering water. This method is called bain marie. Once the chocolate has melted, stir in honey then out hot milk and gently stir until smooth. Do not stir too fast as you don’t want to create bubbles in the chocolate mixture. The final consistency will be smooth and silky and runny. It will thicken as it cools. To get a nice smooth finish, pour the chocolate frosting while still warm.
How To Make it Non Gluten Free
Simply replace the gluten free flour with regular all purpose flour. Follow the same instructions.
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 1/2 cup Gluten Blend Flour
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 large Egg – room temperature
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup neutral Oil (like canola)
- 1/4 cup full-fat Sour Cream or plain Greek Yogurt – room temperature
How to Quickly Bring Ingredients to Room Temperature?
To have the ingredients at room temperature, take it out from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before using it. You don’t need to actually measure the temperature of the ingredients, it is just saying that it should not be cold (straight from the refrigerator). Room temperature ingredients mix easily creating a softer fluffier bake product. For the case of egg, you can also submerge it in warm water for 5 minutes to bring it to room temperature, that is the short cut way.
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup chopped Chocolate (Semisweet or Dark Chocolate)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 2 tablespoon Milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Prepare the Pan: Line a 5-inch square cake pan with parchment paper on the bottom, and lightly grease the sides with oil.
- Dry Ingredients: Next, in a medium bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Wet Ingredients: In a small bowl, manually whisk the egg and and sugar until pale in color, about 1 – 2 minutes. Do not whisk to much to avoid incorporating too much air in the batter. Add vanilla extract, oil and yogurt or sour cream. Mix until combined. The consistency will be thick.
- Wet Ingredients + Dry Ingredients: Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients mixing just until combined (do not over mix). Pour the cake batter in the prepared pan, level the top. Push the pan forward and backward, and also sideways to even the top more.
- Bake for 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. The side will start to pull away from the pan, while the center is still slightly soft. Don’t worry, it will continue to bake as it cools.
- Cool: Set aside to cool completely before adding any frosting. Do NOT remove the cake from the pan.
- Make Chocolate Frosting – In microwave proof bowl, add the chopped chocolate and butter. Microwave for in 30 seconds interval, remove from the microwave and gently stir. Return to the microwave as needed until chocolate is fully melted. The consistency will be smooth and runny. While the chocolate is still warm, add honey and stir to combine. In a separate glass, microwave the milk for about 30 – 45 seconds. Pour over the melted chocolate and gently stir. Do NOT still vigorously as it will create bubbles.
- Decorate: While the chocolate frosting is still warm, pour the chocolate frosting on the cake. Do not remove the cake from the pan. The sides of the pan will support the chocolate frosting from sliding on the side, and will also makes the spreading of the frosting easier and more even. Spread the chocolate frosting on top, use a spatula or back of the spoon. Make sure to spread even on the sides. Now, push the pan forward and backward, as well as side ways until the top settles and become even and smooth. Room in room temperature to allow the frosting to solidify. Do not put it in the refrigerator, the texture of the frosting is better when it solidify in room temperature.
- Black Forest Cake
- Homemade Whipped Cream Frosting
- Almond Ricotta Chocolate Cake
- Strawberry and Blueberry Almond Crumb Cake
- Angel Food Cake for Two
- Mango Coconut Cake
- Banana Chiffon Cake
- Magic Custard Cake
- Sponge Cake
My Latest Video
Click the item to get the full recipe
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
Categories: Baking, Cakes, Chocolate Cake, Gluten Free, Healthy Option, Recipe, Small Batch Recipes
Leave a Reply