Today we’re making Baked Sweet Potato Wedges or Fries if you want to cut it in sticks. Sweet Potato as the name says is a sweeter type of potato. Gone are the days that regular potatoes 🥔 are the only ones used to make French fries. I have to admit I wasn’t a fan of sweet potato fries before until I slowly started liking it. I like the sweeter taste of it it does give a different experience eating it.
About This Recipe
- Ease in Making the Recipe This is an easy recipe to make. I like the fact that most of the time spent making this happens in the oven. The most that you will do is to wash, cut and season the sweet potato. The rest is oven baking time.
- Ingredients: The main ingredient is sweet potato 🍠, the rest are seasonings and spices, plus cornstarch to coat it. You can keep it basic and go for plain salt and pepper. I like mine with a bit of heat and garlic flavor so I added extra cayenne and garlic powder.
- Texture, Taste & Flavor: It has a soft texture and a sweet, salty and spicy taste. Sweet Potato tends to be softer than crunchier compared to regular potato. It’s just how it is.
- Make-Ahead: I wouldn’t recommend this for make ahead as it gets soft and soggy easily as it cools down. This is best served right after baking it to enjoy a better texture.
You will find quite a lot of ways to bake sweet potato 🍠, every method aims to produce a crunchy sweet potato. I’ve tried baking it with or without coating and although there is a slight difference in texture, I never never got the crispiness when using regular potato. Sweet Potato have higher starch content thus making it prone to easily getting soft. Unless you deep fry it, I think that would be the closest one that will give the crunch similar if not exactly the same are French fries.
I don’t really mind it. I like the texture of baked sweet potato, not as crispy as deep fried but not as oily as well. It’s a trade off.
Let’s talk about the dips because they make this Baked Sweet Potato taste really good. I have 3 dip options that I used in rotation and all 3 are easy to make. Try them all and see which one you like best. I like all 3 of them but my favorite is the Honey Garlic Sauce.
- 1 lb Sweet Potato – cut into stick or wedges
- 2 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
Ketchup-Mayo Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon Ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated Sugar
Honey Garlic Dipping Sauce
- 3 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon juice
Sriracha Mayonnaise Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha Sauce (more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease a rimmed 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Leave in the oven while you prepare the potato.
- Prepare the Potato: Wash the sweet potato and dry with paper towel. Peel and cut the potato into sticks or wedges. Cut the pieces at lease in similar size so it all bakes at the same time
- Alternatively, you can leave the skin on just make sure to scrub and wash the sweet potato thoroughly
- Mix the Seasoning and Spices: In a small mixing bowl whisk together cornstarch, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
- Season the Potato: Drizzle olive oil, and sprinkle the spice mixture. Toss until spices are distributed into the sweet potato.
- Arrange: remove the pan from the oven and arrange the sweet potatoes on baking sheet into an even layer working to keep a little space between them. Do not over crowd as this will create steam while baking and will make the sweet potato soft
- Bake: Position the pan in the lower rack of the oven and bake for15 minutes. Remove from oven and flip each piece to bake the other side and spread into an even layer again. Return to the oven and continue baking for 10 – 15 more minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Make the Dipping Sauce: Choose the dipping sauce from the 3 options above. Simply mix all ingredients in a bowl until combined.
- Serve while warm with dipping sauce on the side
Serve immediately while hot. Enjoy!
Serves 2-3 as appetizer or side dish
- Small Batch Cheesy Zucchini Tots
- Baked Asparagus Fries
- BBQ Cauliflower Bites
- Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Baked Parmesan Cauliflower Popcorn
- Garlic and Parmesan Puff Pastry Bites
- BBQ Chicken Wings
- Whole Roasted Garlic and Herb Cauliflower
- Baked Garlic Parmesan Potato Wedges
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
Follow SweetnSpicyLiving on Social Media
This looks really good. Thanks for sharing.
You`re welcome. I am glad you like it 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person