While desserts and entree are the first on our mind when planning a get together menu, appetizers are an important item that we should not forget too. With all the crazy busy schedule, what we need is a simple and crowd pleaser appetizer, and probably something that we can prepare ahead of time. This Baked Garlic Parmesan Puffs is exactly what it is. A simple easy to prepare appetizer made using puff pastry dough is one of my go to appetizer. Crunchy, with nice subtle garlic and cheese flavor baked until golden brown and crispy.
A recipe for everyday and holiday appetizers are always handy to have. You’ll never know when you’ll have to entertain guest and having something in the freezer that you could just easily pull out for emergency appetizers are a comforting thought.
I like waking up in the morning especially during weekends and knowing that I could make myself some homemade breakfast without going through so much hassle. This is why I love puff pastry. This pastry is going to be you best friend especially during the holiday season. Regardless if you want to make a sweet or savory appetizer, puff pastry will never fail to deliver the quality of appetizer that your guest will love. Best of all, they look fantastic and easy to prepare!
What Kind of Puff Pastry Should I Buy?
There’s no shame in using a readily available puff pastry, you got to do what you got to do, so go grab them. There are 2 types that I normally saw in the grocery, but this could vary depending on where you are located. You may or may not have them, so juts make use of what is available in your area or make your own.
- There’s one that are cut into 2 thick square. This type of puff pastry will require you to roll and flatten it into about 1/8 inch thickness. It’s not difficult to do that, but that still adds time when you are in a hurry. Also, you have to target of at least having an even surface. I box contains 2 cut puff pastry.
- Then there’s my favorite type, the flat puff. They normally comes in 2 pcs per box, and all you have to do is thaw it a little bit in the fridge , unroll and cut them to size and shape you like. The thickness is even, so it’s you are assured that they will bake at the same time. The little time you save will make a huge difference when your tight on schedule. That will give you some time to clean up and relax before the party starts.
Can I Make This in Advance?
It’s not as if this is difficult to make, but I just want to make your life even more easier by letting you know that this can be prepared ahead of time. Do everything until step 5 (cutting the dough) the arrange it in a tray lined with parchment paper, freeze until hard and no longer sticky then transfer in a big ziplock bag so as not to crowd the dough. Keep it in the freezer and when you are ready to bake it, brush the top with spices mixture and sprinkle cheese on top. No need to thaw, just add 2 -3 more minutes in the baking time. So easy! I know that we are not supposed to return the puff pastry in the freezer once it’s been thawed, but I tried it anyway and it still works fine for me.
Let me show you how easy it is to make your own puff pastry at home. Watch till the end to see what can make with this puff pastry. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoon grated Parmesan Cheese (or more if desired) – set aside 1 teaspoon for sprinkling before baking
- 1 tsp minced Garlic (fresh or dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian herb blend (dried thyme, oregano, rosemary)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Black or White Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 sheet refrigerated Puff Pastry (I have easy Homemade Puff Pastry) recipe if you want to do it by yourself)
- Parmesan Cheese can be substituted with grated Asiago cheese or any dry (less moisture cheese). Avoid using melting cheese like Mozzarella as this could make the puff pastry soggy
- Italian Herb can be substituted by a combination of Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, Parsley or any of your favorite herbs and spice
- Paprika can be substituted with Cayenne Pepper or Red Chili Flakes (for spicier taste)
- Preheat you oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or use a cast iron pan for a more crunchy texture.
- Prepare the Garlic & Spices: In a small pan, put olive oil, garlic powder or minced garlic, Italian seasoning, parsley, salt and paprika and cayenne peppers and mix just to combine. Heat in low heat for 3 minutes or until fragrant. We only want to extract the spices flavor and NOT to toast the garlic (if using fresh). Set aside to cool completely.
- Roll out the Puff Pastry. Brush the surface of puff-pastry with cooled garlic and spices mixture and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Roll the puff pastry into a thin log shape.
- If you are using a home puff-pastry, roll the puff pastry to 10 x 10 size about 1/8-inch thick.
- Chill in the freezer for 30 minutes. This will make the cutting easier and will help maintain the shape when cut.
- Cut into 8 small rolls (diagonally) about 1 or 2-inch thick.
- Arrange the Puff Pastry: Place the cut puff pastry rolls onto the prepared baking sheet or cast iron pan and brush each with the remaining garlic & spices mixture. Sprinkle top with more Parmesan cheese and paprika. It is best to use a baking sheet or pan with high side because the oil with come out while the puff bakes.
- Bake: Place into oven and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Take out from the oven and remove oil dripping. You can also transfer it to another baking sheet or pan. Return to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately, brushed with the remaining garlic and Parmesan mixture. Best served with Marina sauce or cheese dip.
Note: Check oven regularly when baking. If the top turns brown fast, cover top with aluminum foil and continue baking.
Makes 8 pieces
- Chicken Potato Curry Empanada
- 2 Ingredients Puff Pastry Croissant
- Apple Danish
- Apple Turnover
- Apple Hand Pie
- BBQ Pulled Chicken Puff Pastry Bites
- Bake Garlic Parmesan Puffs
- Mini Chocolate Croissant
- Nutella Dulce De Leche Pull-Apart Puff_Pastry
- Pigs in a Blanket
- Margherita Puff Pastry Bites
- Chocolate Banana Puff Pastry Pizza
- Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry Melt
- Meatballs Wellington
- Chicken Wellington
- Salmon Wellington Made Easy
- Puff Pastry Jalapeno and Cheese Bites
- Baked Puff-Pastry Pene Pesto Pasta
- Jalapeno Mummy Poppers
- Chocolate Banana Puff Pastry Pizza
- Baked Mushroom Soup
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA