If you are looking for easy and flavorful way to cook and serve cabbage, this is it!! Roasting Cabbage made easy with this simple method. I’ve tried several ways of cooking cabbage, from the famous Cabbage “Steak”, Roasted Cabbage Wedges, Sautéed Cabbage and more, but this one is so far my favorite. It is so easy, the most the you need to do is to cut the cabbage into bite size pieces and seasoned it with spices, cheese and oil. Then it goes to the oven for 20 minutes, just like that and you have a delicious Cabbage meal to serve. Eat it on its own, or serve it with steamed rice. You can also top it with some sautéed minced meat, seafood or tofu for vegan option. This taste really good, you’ll thank me for this.
About This Recipe
- Ease in Making the Recipe: What can I say? It cannot get any easier than this. This is a VERY simple and easy recipe that you can make is 30 minutes! Yes, that’s fast. No complicated process, no long list of ingredients. You don’t need any cooking skills to be able to make something simple and delicious as this. The most of what you will do for this is to cut the cabbage, season and bake it. How easy it that?
- Ingredients: Not only is the process simple, the ingredients are very simple and easy to find too. The seasoning and spices are flexible to change, you can use whether to use olive oil or butter or a combination or both. Then we have Parmesan cheese which is highly recommend as it adds a really nice taste to the roasted cabbage, and one of course the cabbage which is the main ingredients, that’s it!
- Texture, Taste & Flavor: I was surprised how tasty and flavorful this turned out to be. Cabbage are known to be something bland, but not this recipe. This dish is pact with flavor, and I especially like the addition of Parmesan cheese which gives takes the taste to the next level. That small amount of Parmesan cheese made a huge difference. I like the subtle garlic flavor and the heat from the peppers. The cabbage is so tender, you don’t even need knife to cut it. It literally separates on its own. I’m this is so good!
- Make-Ahead: No. I suggest to make this the same day you are serving it. I mean it only takes about 30 minutes to make it, so just do it the same day. It taste nice while warm out from the oven, the flavor and taste are so intense.
Let’s Talk About the Ingredients for Roasted Cabbage
There are 3 key ingredients for this recipe. I am grouping all the seasoning and spices in 1 group because they are all flexible and can be changed
- Cabbage – the main key ingredient is the Cabbage. You can use any size of Cabbage but I find it easier to slice smaller Cabbage so I often go for small to medium size Cabbage
- Parmesan Cheese – this made a huge difference, so don’t skip it. I used powdered Parmesan cheese. You can also use fresh and grate it.
- Olive Oil and/or Butter – You can use either or use a combination of both. I’ve tried using put olive oil and the combination of both and personally like the later. As always, butter makes food taste better, but if you want to stay on the good side, then use olive oil instead
- Seasonings and Spices – the seasonings I used are the basic salt and peppers, plus Italian seasoning which is my favorite spice blend. You can use any dried spices that you prefer. What I really like about this is the slight spiciness the peppers gave. If you are not into spicy food, decrease or replace the peppers with whatever you like. The garlic I would recommend to retain it, it gave a really nice taste. I’ve tried using powdered and fresh, and as expected the fresh gave a better taste and flavor. You can use either or a combination of both
How to Make Roasted Cabbage
Start by mixing the oil/butter mixture with the seasoning and spices.
Once done, wash the Cabbage and remove few layers of the outer Cabbage. Normally these are the wilted damage ones. Cut the cabbage into 4 rounds. Depending on the size of the Cabbage, you could have about 4 – 6 rounds. I used small Cabbage and was able to cut 4 pieces.
Spray the baking sheet with olive oil. Arrange the Cabbage in a baking sheet and brush both sides with the oil mixture. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top
Bake for 30 – 35 minutes at 350F or until the Cabbage are soft. Remove from the oven and sprinkle more garlic powder and paprika on top before serving.
Tips in Making Roasted Cabbage
- Be generous on the seasoning. There is nothing but seasoning that will flavor this Cabbage, so use all the oil mixture or add more as needed if you have a larger Cabbage
- Roast the Cabbage until really soft, it makes a huge difference.
- Do not skip the Parmesan cheese (unless you are Vegan), this sealed the deal for this simple dish
- 1 whole medium size Cabbage
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil ( or 1 tablespoon butter + 2 tablespoon Olive Oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup powdered Parmesan Cheese
- All spices and seasonings can be substituted with other spices and seasonings that you like.
- Pre-heat the oven at 400F.
- Mix the Seasoning and Spices. Pour the oil in a small bowl. Add all the seasoning and spices and stir to combine.
- Prepare the Cabbage: Wash the cabbage. Remove few leaves of the cabbage. Cut the bottom to remove the hard part. Cut the cabbage into bite size pieces.
- Season: Transfer the cabbage in a baking sheet, or work on it I a large bowl. Pour oil to the cabbage. Using your hands, massage the cabbage to coat it with oil. Sprinkle the mixed spices and continue massaging to distribute the spices. Next, sprinkle tie powdered Parmesan cheese and continue massaging (again). Spread the cabbage the baking sheet (if you worked on it on a bowl)
- Bake for 20 minutes or until nicely charred. Remove from the oven and sprinkle top with paprika (optional).
- Serve with steamed rice, toppings for noodles or have it on its own as a side dish
Nutritional Information was calculated using Veryfitwell Recipe Calorie and Nutrition Calculator. For details about Nutritional Information in this website, please read the Disclaimer page.
My Latest Video
Click the item to get the full recipe
- Roasted Cabbage “Steak”
- Beef Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Parmesan Roasted Cabbage Wedges
- Whole Roasted Garlic and Herb Cauliflower
- Garlic Butter Roasted Carrots
- Grilled Brussels Sprouts
- Brussels Sprout Quinoa Salad
- Roasted Garlic Brussels Sprout
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter | YouTube
Categories: Baking, Cooking, Recipe, Video, Video Recipes
This looks delicious. I just love roasted cabbage!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Me too. Roasting gave it better flavor and texture.
LikeLiked by 1 person