Strawberry & White Chocolate Shortbread Cookie is a lovely delicious twist to my classic Shortbread Cookie recipe. The base is a creamy, buttery shortbread cookie with a layer of white chocolate and Strawberry paste and finish off with slice of fresh Strawberry coated with white chocolate. Every layer of this shortbread is perfection, they just seem to work well together.
If you are looking are looking for simple, delicious and versatile cookie, then try making a shortbread cookie. Shortbread cookie is the top most visited recipe in my website, and for me that says a a lot. It means I am not the only one crazy about this creamy and buttery cookie. Unlike Chocolate Chip Cookie (my 2nd favorite cookie), Shortbread cookie is almost fool proof in giving you a consistent result every single time. You don’t have to worry about too much spreading, thin cookie, thick cookie or even cake like texture cookie which is the main struggle when making Chocolate Chip Cookie. Sometimes it’s a hit and miss. I had a lot of failed attempts in making Chocolate Chip Cookie before I nailed it to my preference. But this Shortbread Cookie is different, it always gave me a consistent result. This recipe is the base recipe to all my Shortbread Cookie variations,and this time I am sharing with you one of my favorite variation, Strawberry Shortbread Cookie. Let me walk you through on how to make this.
How to Make Strawberry Shortbread Cookie
I’ll divide the parts into 3 parts, don’t worry they are 3 simple parts to follow.
Make the Shortbread Cookie – Start by making the base Shortbread Cookie. I always make this using my food processor as it makes the process so much easier. All the ingredients goes into the food professor and just let the food processor do the job until the mixture comes into a dough, about 1-2 minutes. If you don’t have a good processor you can use a hand mixer but the butter needs to be slightly soft for the hand mixer to mix. Once the dough is done, transfer it in a baking pan and freeze for at least 30 minutes before baking.
Make the White Strawberry Chocolate Layer – This is almost just like making White Chocolate Strawberry Ganache, the only difference is that there is no need to add milk or any liquid to melt the white chocolate. The reason for this is because white chocolate already have high content of milk, so when melted it melts really smooth. At least this was the case for when I use my favorite Lindt white chocolate, which I recommend. Chocolate chips will work too, but it might need to add little milk to help loosen it a bit. Now, to make it Strawberry flavor, add 1 – 2 tablespoon of pure Strawberry paste. I used all natural and real Strawberry paste which I made myself. Watch the video on how I made it. Mix the Strawberry paste and you have a White Chocolate Strawberry Ganache.
Now time to put them together. Pour the Strawberry Ganache on top of cooled Shortbread Cookie, then tilt the pan to spread the chocolate.
Add Topping – Totally optional, but strongly recommended is heavenly, trust me 🙂 Dip the slices of fresh Strawberry in white chocolate then arrange it on top. Drizzle the remaining white chocolate. Chill in the refrigerator the until the chocolate has solidify.
My Other Cookie Videos
Not feeling like having a Shortbread Cookie, check out my other cookie videos for inspiration.
Use Good Quality Ingredients
The steps in making Shortbread cookie are very simple, the ingredients are very basic. A good quality butter is key to producing a Shortbread cookie that is to die for (figuratively of course), so don’t go cheap please. Same goes with the white chocolate. Use a chocolate that you enjoy eating on its own, that alone is a good start. Spending few more for quality ingredients can go along way. Treat yourself, you deserve it.
This dough can be made using a stand mixer, hand mixer or food processor. The instructions below uses a stand mixer, while the video uses food processor. As you can see, using food processor is the easiest way to make this cookie dough. But you do not have to have one, a stand mixer or hand mixer is the common way most people do it. The only difference is the state of the butter. When using stand or hand mixer, use softened butter. This will allow the mixture to combine easily. While when using food processor, since it can easily handle hard butter, cold butter is the best one to use. Food processor method is simply putting all ingredients in the processor. Here is how you do it.
Make Shortbread Cookie With or Without Food Processor, It’s Possible
Using Food Processor
There are two ways in which I normally make my shortbread cookie, but often times I used my food processor to make the dough. Using a food processor allow me to use a really cold butter that’s straight out of the fridge. Using cold butter makes the dough firmer and more manageable. Oftentimes, I don’t even have to chill the dough as it is good enough to to immediately roll and cut. But there’s exception, Summer time! Yes, I find that making a mostly butter based cookie is tricky when the weather it hot. The heat in the kitchen soften the dough quite easily, which means more chilling is required before rolling and cutting it. But that’s me really an issue here, we only have 4 months of warm weather, and there’s always my fridge to help me chill the dough. So, if you have a food processor, take it out and make use of it to make Shortbread Cookie. It will be such an easy breezy process.
Don’t worry if you don’t have a food processor, you can still make this Shortbread Cookie. Use a room temperature butter and use a hand mixer instead. Hand mixer should be able handle soften butter without any problem. The downside of this method is that the dough will require chilling to make it easier to handle. The cookie dough will be soft and it will be sticky to roll and cut, and so chilling is mandatory. Simply chill the dough in the refrigerator until it is manageable for rolling and cutting. You will know if it was chilled properly when it doesn’t stick to the rolling pin or on the surface when you start rolling it, or when it doesn’t break or tear easily. You can also use a soften butter in food processor, just remember when a butter is soften you will need to chill the dough.
Tips in Making Basic Shortbread Cookie
- Sift the Confectioner’s Sugar: Icing Sugar or confectioners sugar tends to have lumps, so sifting is recommended for a smoother cookie texture. Sift the sugar first using a flour sifter of a regular sieve then measure the required amount.
- Chill the Dough After Cutting: Regardless if you use soften butter or cold butter, it is still suggested that you chill the cut or pressed cookie in the freezer at least 15 – 30 minutes. This is VERY important to help retain the shape when you bake the cookie. A soft cookie when baked will spread a lot, resulting to a thin cookie, and worst a deformed cookie.
- Same Size, Same Thickness: It is very important to have the same size and thickness for the cookies so that they all bake at the same time. If you have some thicker and bigger than the other, it will not be bake the same time as the other pieces. 1/4-inch thickness is the ideal thickness for this cookies. Make it too thin and it will get burnt or crunchy too soon. You can use a ruler to measure the thickness. Sometimes it is quite easy to spot a thin cookie once you get the hang of making it. I would say thicker is better than thinner. Thicker will require more baking time, but at least it will not burn as easily when you have it thin. If you are baking it in a pan, like for this recipe, the spreading problem is not going to be an issue here since the pan will hold the shape of the shortbread, but still do chill before baking.
- Do NOT Over Bake: You’ve probably heard this countless times when making a cookie, Do NOT over bake. For cookie cutter Shortbread Cookie, bake about 18- 20 minutes only. This cookies are very fragile cookie, because it is a butter based cookie which makes it susceptible over baking if not monitored. Take the cookie out when you notice the side starts browning while the top is still pale. The cookie will continue to cook as it cools. When baking in a pan like in this recipe, monitor the sides, when it starts to brown while the center is slightly light, that should be ok to remove from the oven. Plus, you know it is ready when you start smelling the buttery creamy smell in your kitchen.
Can I Use Granulated Sugar Instead of Icing Sugar
Technically, you can but the texture will not be the same. Icing sugar have a fine powdered texture that makes the cookie smooth and creamy. It also blends well, and dissolve easily thus producing a better cookie texture.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted Butter – softened at room temperature (If using a food processor, use COLD butter)
- 1/4 cup Confectioner’s /Icing sugar (Sifted – Sift first before measuring)
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Strawberry Paste ( watch the video on how to make this at home)
- 150 grams White Dipping /Melting Chocolate (Divided: 100g for mixing with white chocolate and 50g for drizzling)
- 5 pieces Fresh Strawberry (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a silicone mat or baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cream Butter and Sugar: In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar using hand mixer or stand mixer if making a larger batch.
- Food Processor Method: Alternatively, this can also be made using a food processor. If using this method, use a COLD butter instead of softened butter. Add all ingredients in the food processor and process until dough start to clump together.
- Add Dry Ingredient: Add salt and flour and continue to mix until mixture forms a soft dough (it will be crumbly at first, but keep mixing and it will form a dough).
- Press the Shortbread Dough in a Pan: Line a 6 or 7-inch square pan with aluminum foil. Press the shortbread dough and level the top. Use a fork to punch holes on top.
- Chill: Chill for 30 minutes – 1 hour in the freezer or leave overnight in the fridge.
- Bake: Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the edge of the cookies starts to turn golden brown and the center is still pale and soft. Let cool completely before adding the Strawberry white chocolate layer.
- Melt White Dipping This can be done in microwave in 30 seconds interval, stir after each interval. You can also melt this on a simmering hot water. Simply put water in a pan, and put the heat proof bowl with white chocolate on top of the pan with simmering hot water. Make sure that the bottom of the bowl do not touch the water in the pan.
- Make the White Strawberry Coating: Mix the Strawberry Paste with the melted white chocolate. Stir until fully combined.
- Pour the Strawberry White Chocolate on top: Pour the Strawberry White Chocolate on top of the cooled shortbread cookie. Tilt the pan back and forth and side ways to level the top.
- Top with Strawberry: Meanwhile, dip the Strawberry in the white chocolate then arrange on top of the shortbread cookie. Drizzle the remaining white chocolate on top.
- Chill: Refrigerate the shortbread at least 30 minutes to 1 hour or until the Strawberry & white chocolate coating solidify.
- Cut: Cut the cookie into 9 pieces
Makes 9 cookie bars
How to Use Shortbread Cookie Dough as a Tart Crust
This Shortbread cookie dough can be used as tart crust. This makes a perfect tart crust for fruit tarts and custard tarts. It is still the same creamy and butter shortbread, but molded in a tart pan. Watch the video on how to do this.
More Shortbread Cookie Variation
Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookie
If you want to make this cookie extra special and extra sinfully delicious, I highly recommend dipping it in melted chocolate. You only need to add 1 extra step, and that is dipping it in melted chocolate. Watch the video to see how to make it.
White Chocolate Matcha Dipped Shortbread Cookie
This Matcha Glazed Shortbread Cookie is the same creamy and buttery shortbread cookie made special by adding a white chocolate matcha glazed on top.
Toblerone Shortbread Cookie
Add a twist to your usual shortbread cookie by turning it into this Toblerone Shortbread Cookie. The same simple and easy shortbread that we all love, it is buttery, it is creamy and now made even more special with the addition of chopped Toblerone in the cookie dough. Once you try this recipe, you wouldn’t be looking for other shortbread recipe, because this is so far the BEST simple shortbread recipe
I love eating shortbread cookie on its own, but I enjoy it even more when dipped in melted dark chocolate. The smooth buttery texture complements well with the dark chocolate. Every bite melts in your mouth! Such an easy breezy treat for something so deliciously good.
- You can use either flour or powdered sugar to roll out your cookies of it is sticky, but I prefer powdered sugar. Too much flour can toughen the cookie, but as long as you watch the amount of flour, it should be fine.
- Remember, size and thickness matters. The bigger and thicker your cookie, the more baking time you need. So, adjust your baking time accordingly.
- How To Freeze Cookies (Bake and Unbaked)
- How To Store Cookie Properly So They Last Longer
- Holiday Cookie Platter, The More The Merrier 🙂
- Classic Shortbread Cookie
- Joack-O-Lantern Shortbread Cookie
- Lemon Ricotta Cookie
- Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookie
- Pistachio and Almond Cranberry
- Baked Mini Churro
- Matcha Glazed Shortbread Cookie
- Strawberry White Chocolate Shortbread Cookie
- Pinwheel Cookie Tutorial
- No Bake Fruits and Nuts Chocolate Bar
- Pistachio and Cranberry Bark Chocolate
- M & M Cookie
- Shortbread Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookie
- No Bake Rocky Road Chocolate Bar
- Peanut Butter Blossom Cookie
- Toblerone Shortbread Cookie
There’s something for everyone, so check it out and watch some of my videos. You can find all the recipes in my website. Happy Baking
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Your feedback helps me decide what to put on my next baking to do list. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA