My Other Soup Videos:
If you are looking for other soup to make, checkout my Soup Video collection. All the recipes are in my website. Keep yourself warm. Enjoy!
Because some days calls for and easy soup that is ready in 15 minutes, and this is that kind of soup. Quick, easy, light, your perfect company for busy rainy days.
I got first hooked to Tomato Soup when I visited Disneyland. It’s there where I had the best ever tomato soup that I had tasted in my whole life. It may sound as an exaggeration, but it’s my way of saying it’s that good. It’s smooth, creamy and it has the right balance of sweet and sour tomato taste and the right amount of basil flavor. They served it with grilled cheese, a simple meal that was taken up into a higher level. But then again, everything seems to taste great in Disneyland like just like the Mickey cookie or the soft serve pineapple ice cream. Oh well, it’s Disneyland and I expect nothing less but the best.
Sadly, I was not able to find anything like that anywhere. But that doesn’t mean I cannot enjoy it at home. I have decided to make my own version instead, it’s not like the Disneyland version that I love, but it’s my version. Last year, I created Creamy Tomato Basil Soup with Parmesan. It was good, I love it. It’s thick, smooth and creamy and with just the right amount of herbs and spices. If you are one of those people who try to avoid cream in soup, this Roasted Tomato Basil Soup is good alternative for you. It’s vegetarian, it’s smooth and it’s very flavorful.
Instead of just using a canned tomatoes I used fresh and ripe vine tomatoes. You can also use other kind of tomato like Roma Tomato, but maybe not the cute cherry tomatoes. They could still work, but you will have to use more, by how much more I don’t know for now as I haven my tried it. I used 4 medium size fresh tomatoes and roasted it along with onion and garlic. Alternatively, you can bake it or grill it. I like the idea of grilled because the smokey taste will definitely add a nice flavor to the soup. You also have an option to remove the skin after baking, roasting or grilling it. I left mine intact because I like a little bit of texture in this soup, but feel free to remove the skin if that’s your preference. Then after that, everything goes to a boil to extract the juices and flavor of the tomato. Last but not the least, I used my immersion blender to purée the mixture. You can adjust the consistency according to your preference. Bring it to a boil longer will give a thinker consistency, you can always add more broth of you want it thinner.
This soup is one of my healthier option soup in my website, and my go to if I want a good doze of tomato in my diet. As always, it’s a perfect match to grilled cheese or even just a plain Italian Herb Dinner Rolls shown in the photo. Heavenly comforting soup. Try it! Let’s get started!
- 4 medium size tomato
- 1 medium size white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil or 3 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Arrange tomato, onion and garlic in a pan and coat with olive oil and sprinkle of salt.
- Roast/Bake for 45-60 minutes or until the tomato skin are wrinkled and juice started to come out.
- In a medium size pan, transfer the baked/roasted tomato, onion and garlic. Add in the broth, salt, basil, sugar and pepper. Simmer for 10-14 minutes.
- Puree the mixture either by using immersion blender or regular blender. When using regular blender, either slightly cool the mixture first or open up the lid of the blender slightly to allow steam to come out.
- Transfer back into the pan and simmer for another 5-10 minutes or until you got the consistency that you like. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Remember the longer you simmer it, the thicker it will be. If it gets too thick for you, just add more broth and adjust the seasoning again.
Serve hot with a sprinkle of olive oil on top and garnish with fresh herbs.
If you like the creamy version, check out my Creamy Tomato Basil Soup with Parmesan. You can easily convert this Roasted Tomato with Basil Soup into a creamy version by just adding 1/4 cup cream in it. Here is a preview of how it looks like.
Thank You for visiting my website. If you like this recipe, kindly click on the “Like” button below. If you haven’t subscribe yet, subscribe now so that you don’t miss any of my up-coming recipes.
Checkout my other soup recipes and keep yourself warm ♥
- Baked Butternut Squash Soup
- Baked Mushroom Soup
- Chicken Mami (Chicken Noodle Soup)
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Tomato Basil Soup with Parmesan
- Egg Drop Corn Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Mexican Chili
- Minestrone Soup
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SweetNSpicyLiving on Social Media Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
Nice and tasty recipe 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks! One of my favorite soup.
LikeLiked by 1 person